October 9, 2008

Quit Complaining

Did Jesus ever have a cold? Did He stub His toes or trip over something on the path as He walked? He is my example and I sometimes wonder how He managed ordinary irritants.

This week I’m plagued with a virus in my ears (yes, the first doctor missed it, the second saw the inflammation). I’m sometimes dizzy, but mostly have a sense of fullness through my sinuses into my ears, and a throbbing pain that shoots from the hinge of my jaw up the side of my head. Did Jesus ever experience anything like this?

My devotional book takes me today to Hebrews 12:1-2 which says, “Let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

The simple answer to my question isn’t whether He had minor issues to deal with or not, but how He handled the big issue of being falsely accused and put on a cross, one of the most cruel forms of death. It says that He endured.

A Greek lexicon tells me that this word endure could also be translated take patiently, tarry behind, abide, patient, suffer, remain, tarry behind, not recede or flee, preserve: under misfortunes and trials, bear bravely and calmly (ill treatments).

After reading that, I’ve not much to say. He endured the Cross and every sort of ill treatment that was inflicted on Him. He probably never had an ear ache, but even if He did, He would not be grumbling about it. I get the point.

3 comments:

Lorrie said...

A great reminder to me, too. Keeping my eyes on Jesus is something I have to continually be conscious of.

Lorrie

darien said...

oh my friend...feel better soon!

Elsie Montgomery said...

I rather suspect all the difficulties of life have that purpose -- to 'motivate' (a kind word) us to keep our eyes on Him. I know that each lesson learned tends to make me think I've got it -- then along comes another one and I discover that I really haven't learned much after all!

blessings...!