October 3, 2008

Feasting my Eyes

Sometimes the truth of Scripture is so precious that I scarcely know how to respond, what to say, how to express the wonder of what He says. God’s plan and the way He works is utterly amazing.

For instance, He made us to be impressionable. My children, after spending time in one of the southern states, picked up the soft drawl of their friends. When I am with a certain friend for any length of time, I pick up her way of speaking in clipped sentences. Of course this does not last, unless we go back for another visit.

It’s not just speaking. My grandmother was a gentle woman. Just thinking about her affects the way I treat others. The Bible warns us to watch who we spend our time with for God knows that the attitudes and actions of evil people can rub off on us too. Yet if I choose my friends wisely, I will begin to mirror some of their good qualities.

Today’s verse is one of my life verses and has become very important to me. It says that if I spend time with Jesus, I will become like Him. “But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord” (2 Corinthians 3:18).

Today is a “retreat” day for me. I’m leaving the house to spend time with Jesus. I want to gaze into His glory and allow Him to speak to me and change me in some way. This verse is instructive in how to spend a special time, a retreat, with Jesus.

Unveiled face refers to an unobstructed view. Sin and selfishness ruin my ability to see Him, so first I need to confess my sins and make sure nothing stands between me and Him. He promised in Matthew 5:8, “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.” I want to see Him, so my heart needs to be unmixed, pure.

Also, beholding in a mirror isn’t so much about seeing a reflection as getting up close and personal. My bathroom mirror has one side that magnifies, helping me avoid what I call “granny makeup.” The reference to a mirror here is about getting close enough that the glory of the Lord is magnified in my heart and mind. A few minutes of Bible reading and prayer do not do that. I need to spend extra time with Him, drawing near and looking intently and what the Bible reveals about my Lord and Savior. This may mean concentration, even skipping lunch.

The glory of the Lord is about the manifestation of who He is and what He does. This isn’t about dreams and visions (although God can reveal His glory that way), but about looking at the revelation given in His Word and studying it. It is not about a quick skim through the words, but meditating and thinking deeply about what they say. It is also listening for the Holy Spirit who will tell me wonderful things — if I slow down long enough to listen and to let His revelations penetrate my heart. Again, I must focus and concentrate — and go some place where there are limited distractions.

The results of being with Jesus are staggering. I don’t know how it happens, but just like my friends can influence the way I talk and act, the Lord Jesus Christ can change my life and transform the way I speak and live. He can make me more like himself. My part in this is simply to gaze into His glory.

No comments: