October 21, 2008

All things are mine

Anyone who believes in a sovereign God eventually has to come to the realization that this affects them personally. It means that He controls everything that happens to me, and that He is able to supply all my needs.

In 1 Corinthians, Paul writes to a church that is in conflict over several things. One of their issues is boasting about the leader they follow. One says Paul, one says Apollos, and the ‘extremely pious’ claim, “I follow Christ.” They think this is wise, but Paul rebukes them for their foolishness.
Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you seems to be wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, “He catches the wise in their own craftiness” and again, “The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are futile.” Therefore let no one boast in men. For all things are yours (1 Corinthians 3:18-21).
My study Bible says, “All believers share equally in God’s most important and valuable provisions and glories; human boasting, therefore, is ludicrous as well as sinful.”

In other words, because I belong to a sovereign God, no Christian is richer (or poorer) than I am. A person’s task or prominence in God’s kingdom or Christ’s church does not matter. If I need something (not just according to my mind but in the mind of God), He provides it. If I don’t need something, including catastrophe or pain or trials, then He prevents it. My devotional reading sums it up so well that I’m copying it here, slightly edited and made personal:
Whatever there is in heaven or in earth that can be for my spiritual good, all is mine because I am an heir of God and a joint-heir with Christ. The silver and the gold and the cattle upon a thousand hills are all Christ’s because all power is given to Him in heaven and in earth. Whatever my temporal wants may be, He can supply them, because He is king on earth as well as in heaven. Whatever enemies I might have, He is able to defeat them; whatever evils may press upon me, He is able to subdue them; whatever sorrows surround me, He is able to console me under them. Everything in time, in eternity, in this world and in the world to come, is all available to me because I am an heir of God and a joint-heir with Christ.
What a good thought for today, and for every day!

Medical update: People are praying for me and God is answering. First of all, the stitches and swelling and “after surgery” booklet say I should be having severe pain, but so far all I have is some swelling. Also, my body knows that the infection is gone. With that battle over, the rest of me feels surprisingly good. Thank You, Jesus.

No comments: