September 18, 2008

Perfectionism

More than one person has told me that I am a perfectionist. My response is usually something like, “If I can do it well, why do it halfway?

Perfectionism can be very harmful. “Reg” admits that if he cannot do something very well, he won’t do it at all. For him, accomplishment is a pride thing and halfway is not in his vocabulary. Sadly, this choice limits his activities and narrows his enjoyment of life.

After years of trying to do my best, I realize that others often don’t care if they make that effort. Doing well is not a priority. Also some try, but halfway is the best that they can do.

Sometimes that is also true of me. In fact, the saying, “If it is worth doing, it is worth doing poorly” is often motivation to just do it and let perfection go by the wayside.

Jesus talked about being perfect. He said in Matthew 5 that we are to love our enemies just as “God makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.” Then in verse 48, He says, “Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

Jesus sets an impossible and unattainable standard. God’s glory is beyond us. As Romans 3:23 says, “All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.” Yet God cannot lower His standard any more than He can lower His own perfection. The good news is that Christ met this standard on our behalf. 2 Corinthians 5:21 says, “For He (God) made Him (Christ) who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

Jesus is my righteousness and my perfection. He came into my life to do and be what I cannot do and be. Being a Christian involves the process of learning how to get out of His way and let Him live it for me. He teaches me through the experiences of life and through His Word.

Today’s devotional reading is from 1 Timothy 3:16-17. It says, “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

That word complete is the same idea as perfect. It is not so much about quality or excellence in human or worldly terms, but about being mature, like Jesus. The more I am like Jesus the more I can measure up to what God wants from me, and I become more like Jesus by letting the Word of God permeate my life. When I do, my responses come from it rather than my sinful nature.

Knowing God’s will is vital. When Paul wrote, “Let us therefore, as many as are perfect . . . ” (Philippians 3:15), he meant “We should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine . . . “ (Ephesians 4:14). That is, by immersing myself in the Word of God, I know His will. His book gives me a measure of wisdom and spiritual strength that protects me from being pulled astray. This Christian maturity is part of what it means to be perfect.

My devotional reading today says such perfection is only obtained by suffering. I wanted to argue, but I know this is usually true. I’m a tough case. I can read truth and know truth, but when it comes to living it out, it takes a few hard knocks to get that truth from my head and into my muscles.

However, one thing is certain; this perfection is all about living my life in His power instead of my own. I cannot be mature, complete or spiritually perfect without Jesus Christ. While the results He makes in me may or may not be what others consider perfect, when I obey God, then in the mind of God I am doing exactly what pleases Him.

No comments: