September 11, 2008

I’m more blessed than I thought

Sometimes I put “blessings” at the end of my email. What does “blessing” mean? My dictionary says blessing is a noun that is God's favor and protection; or a prayer asking for blessing; or a beneficial thing for which one is grateful; or a person's sanction or support. It adds that a “blessing in disguise” is an apparent misfortune that eventually has good results.

My devotional guide takes me again to Isaiah 44:3. It says, “For I will pour water on him who is thirsty, and floods on the dry ground; I will pour My Spirit on your descendants, and My blessing on your offspring.

God’s blessing is His favor and protection. Whatever the dictionary says, the Bible is clear that being blessed by God is a very positive thing. Also, this word can mean the way God speaks well of His people. I am not cursed, but blessed. God supports me and encourages me to live for Him. That is a blessing.

However, many of His blessings wear disguises. When people talk about the blessings of God, they usually mean those ‘feel good’ things that happen in their lives. Yet according to His Word, we are blessed by unpleasant things too. Affliction teaches us obedience. Trials develop patience and bring us to maturity. We are blessed when others persecute us for our faith because “great will be our reward” in heaven. Yet only rarely have I heard anyone claim God’s blessing regarding these seemingly negative things.

Romans 8:28 says God uses “all things for good” in the lives of those who love Him. This isn’t that He ‘can use’ all things, but that He ‘does use’ all things. The good He has in mind is that I become more like Jesus, and He orchestrates the events in my life so that I am shaped and transformed into His image.

This ought to make me view life differently from how I normally see things. I should see all events, all situations and circumstances as a blessing from God, and because of that perspective, be rejoicing and thankful no matter what rather than whining that He should change what I don’t like or enjoy.

Instead, I should be asking Him to change me, and while I’m at it, asking Him how I can be more cooperative in the process!

No comments: