September 5, 2008

Getting God’s vote

Listening to the American presidential hopefuls making speeches has shown me something about what appeals to people preparing to vote. While they want to know the background and qualifications of the candidates, they also want to hear that they are capable of making an intelligent choice.

This comes out in Psalm 86:1-5. As I read it this morning, I compared the way pleas are made to voters with the way the psalmist makes his plea to God. This passage says:
Bow down Your ear, O Lord, hear me; for I am poor and needy. Preserve my life, for I am holy; You are my God; save Your servant who trusts in You! Be merciful to me, O Lord, for I cry to You all day long. Rejoice the soul of Your servant, for to You, O Lord, I lift up my soul. For You, Lord, are good, and ready to forgive, and abundant in mercy to all those who call upon You.
In the first part, the psalmist tells God why He should ‘vote’ for him; he is poor and needy, hinting that he cannot survive without God’s help. I need you to put me into office.

He also asks God to preserve his life because he is holy, which means he has been set apart for God so wants God to remember that consecration and commitment. I’ve given my life for my country, given my life for you, so remember this at the polls.

Then the psalmist asks for mercy because he has cried out to God all day long. None of the candidates asked for mercy (which means getting what is not deserved), but two of them have said that they are ordinary people with a desire to serve their country. Certainly all four have cried out and their speeches go on all day long. Vote for me, because I am sticking with this and making my voice heard.

The psalmist also asks God to make him happy because he knows that only God can do that. It is to God alone that he makes his appeal. Vote for me. Together we can do this. You are my only way to the position that I am seeking.

At the very end of the psalm, the petitioner takes a turn. Instead of offering information about himself to persuade God to hear him, he appeals to the very nature of God. He says, “You are good . . . ” and speaks of God’s qualifications that make Him able to hear and answer his requests.

I’ve heard at least two of the candidates say something like this to their audience, You are smart, intelligent people who know what is needed and you are able to select leadership that will be good for your life and this country. You have what it takes.

The crowds love it. While they applaud when the candidates talk of their qualifications and plans, they melt when the candidates tell them that they believe in them.

When I pray today, I can tell God about my helplessness and need, and I can remind Him of my desire to serve Him and how I cannot do it without His help, but I think He most wants to hear words that express my faith in His goodness and power.

I realize that the American people may or may not live up to the expectations and praise given to them by those seeking election, but I also know that God lives up to His promises. Even if my expectations are sometimes off base, I can trust Him. Therefore, regardless of how He ‘votes’ concerning my pleas, I need to tell Him that He knows what is right and what He decides will be good.

No comments: