August 11, 2008

Truth hurts but lies destroy

As long as I can remember, honesty has been the character trait that to me is the most important. Lies make my body tense and my teeth clench. If I suspect someone is lying to me, or if I know that it is so, I either pull back from them or am immediately confronting them about it. Lies can destroy relationships. Believing a lie could destroy me. Besides, and I’ve said it more than once, truth, however bad it might be, is far easier to deal with than lies.

When it comes right down to it though, I’ve lied, and everyone I know has lied, either to me or someone. Scripture says, “Let God be true, and every man a liar. As it is written: ‘So that you may be proved right when you speak and prevail when you judge’” (Romans 3:4).

We fall short in the truth department because our sin nature basically tries to disguise itself. When Adam and Eve disobeyed God, they covered themselves with fig leaves, the first attempt to hide their shame, a shame over something that wasn’t a problem until they disobeyed God. Humanity has done similar hiding and disguising ever since. We want to look better than we are, and we want our sin to be hidden too.

Sin essentially comes from a word that means to fall short. I once saw a movie where archers aimed at targets and when their arrows fell to the ground without reaching the target, bystanders shouted “Sinner, sinner.” In this case, their judgment had nothing to do with morality or disobeying God. It was about the arrows.

By falling short, shame is often produced. A few might seem to brag that they missed the mark, but whether boasting or covering it up, we don’t like the feeling of failure. When I do it, I might make excuses or shift the blame, but if I am honest, I need to acknowledge my falling short. By doing that, I can be forgiven and move on.

The model for honesty is God. He never fudges with the truth, even though truth can be painful or difficult for us. Hebrews 6:17-19 says,
Because God wanted to make the unchanging nature of his purpose very clear to the heirs of what was promised, he confirmed it with an oath. God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope offered to us may be greatly encouraged. We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.
It is the nature of God to be totally honest. He cannot lie, and as I realize this in my experience, instead of it being an enemy and difficult on my pride, more and more I find that relying on Him to tell me the truth is an anchor for me. Others might lie, but God never will.

If I am unsure about any decision or course of action, people often offer advice that suits their agenda or their idea of what is best. If I want advice about a dress that I think makes me look fat, even those close to me might not say what they really think. They don’t want to lie, but neither do they want to offend me with truth.

God is not like that. I can be sure that I will get straight answers from Him. He does not soften it with artificial flattery or weasel words, nor does He have ulterior motives. He says it like it is and I know exactly where I stand with Him. While it might be painful, I’d like that same honesty from everyone.

The best part of knowing the truth, even though the truth about my spiritual life is often dismal and disappointing, along with showing me that about myself, God also reveals the truth about Himself at the same time. When I confess my sin (falling short), He is right here to forgive me and cleanse me, which is the truth about Him. It is in that truth that I am firm and secure.

No comments: