August 17, 2008

Qualifed to run, qualified to win

The best part of the Olympics is the comradery between the competing athletes. No matter what country they are from, many of them rejoice with those who beat them and commiserate with other losers, even in the qualifying rounds. I enjoy the hugs and high fives as much or more than the wins and medals.

One thing that bothers me is disqualifications. Sometimes the winner of a particular competition is bumped out. They must have jumped the gun or done something else wrong, but it is seldom explained; they are simply dropped to the bottom without a score.

The Bible sometimes compares the Christian life with that of an athlete. We too must exercise rigorous discipline if we are going to qualify as God’s runners in our race of godly living and ministry to others. While we do not become Christians by following rules, we must stick to them if we want to successfully serve the Lord.

For instance, if I want to teach others, I must use the Bible, not my own ideas. I must consider the learners and pray for them. If I am going to be generous with my time and money, I must seek the Lord’s guidance and direction about what to do with both; there are far too many needs for me to judge the best places to begin.

In Paul’s second letter to Timothy, he describes what is necessary for discipleship. He tells this young pastor that he must “endure hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ” and that “no one engaged in warfare entangles himself with the affairs of this life” because we are to “please Him who enlisted” us in this spiritual battle.

Then in 2 Timothy 2:5, Paul uses another metaphor. He says, “And also if anyone competes in athletics, he is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules.

Watching the qualifying rounds and an occasional disqualification in these Beijing Olympics reminds me that even though I am not an athlete, I still must pay attention to everything God says. If I try to do things my way, it is definitely not the high way, but more like a recipe for certain disaster.

Certainly this adherence to “the rules” can bring me into conflict. One is the conflict with my own ideas about things. Unless my mind is renewed and transformed by the Lord, I will have selfish motives and personal glory in mind. God does not honor me with victory when I play by those rules.

Another conflict can be with other people. Like playing Scrabble® where it seems easier to make up words for the other person, it also can seem easier to run someone else’s life and ministry. I need to focus on what God tells me to do. I can listen to the input of godly people, but need discernment. If they are playing Scrabble and not paying attention to the Holy Spirit, I could be derailed by a simple desire to please them and do what they say instead of following the Lord’s direction.

Rules. God didn’t save me because I could keep them, but now that He has filled me with Himself, I need to listen and obey my new source of power and motivation—lest I be disqualified from serving Him.

No comments: