August 28, 2008

Closing a Letter

Most of the time my correspondence is email, but occasionally I write a real letter. Both open with Dear . . . or Hi, or Hello and close with sincerely, or blessings, or love . . . , depending on who is getting the letter.

This morning I read 2 Thessalonians 2:16-17, and while it is not quite at the end of this letter from Paul to the church at Thessalonica, it is a benediction.
Now may our Lord Jesus Christ Himself, and our God and Father, who has loved us and given us everlasting consolation and good hope by grace, comfort your hearts and establish you in every good word and work.
True to his calling and his style, Paul crams Christian teaching into every line of his letters to the churches, even when he signs them.

In this benediction, he mentions the love and grace of God that gives every believer eternal encouragement and hope. He conveys his love for them too, saying he desires comfort from God in their hearts, and that God would establish or strengthen their ability to speak and work for Him. In saying these things, he makes it clear that God is the source of all they need, both personally and in their ministry to others.

As for my endings, “sincerely” says I mean it, “blessings” is a vague desire for well-being from God and “love” tells my readers that I care. After reading this ending for Paul’s letters, I’m going to try and be more specific in the way I sign my mail. I don’t know what the recipients will think, but I think I can do better.

1 comment:

Yan said...

Signing off a letter for me will never be the same after reading yours.

I thought I have been "creative" in using different signing off ways to different people who will be receiving my mails!

Thank you for your insight.