August 14, 2008

Beyond the suffering


No matter who stands on that podium, I enjoy seeing Olympic athletes accept their medals and that bouquet of red roses after they have done their best and won the prize.

I wonder if any of them ever say “no pain, no gain,” or do they focus on other ways to motivate themselves? Maybe medal hopes, or surpassing their last performance, or representing their country with pride keeps them going.

Some of those things motivate me as a Christian too. The Bible promises rewards for those who “run the race” with obedient faithfulness. While I’m not sure what the reward will be, I know that it will have far more value than a gold medal and the accolades of the world. As well, hearing Christ say “Well done” is huge reward in itself.

I also want to do better. With Christ, every day is a fresh start. When I keep short accounts with Him by confessing my sin and experiencing His forgiveness and cleansing, I have a very real opportunity to do better next time so I reach toward that goal.

The Bible also says that I am an ambassador for Christ. My real home is heaven and this one is a temporary residence. However, like any ambassador, I am to represent my homeland with grace and integrity. That motivates me too.

Yesterday I read verses in Romans 8 about my inheritance. It includes the above, but also suffering like Christ suffered. Life here may be a rose garden, but that garden also has thorns, some of which cannot be avoided. In fact, God uses the thorns to make my life more like that of His Son. Those verses from yesterday continue with that idea. Romans 8:16-18 say:
The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together. For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
Some day all that God is doing in me through the struggles and difficulties in this race called life will be made known. I’ve no idea the full impact of what He is doing, but am trusting Him. The Rose of Sharon (as He is alluded to in the Old Testament) will bring me into His likeness. Most of the time that seems so impossible, yet He promises that one day all thorns will be gone and everything about me will be like a rose, like Him. For that I press on.

No comments: