July 3, 2008

Better than lemonade


Even when I struggle with events and opposition in my life, that still small voice tells me that good will come from it. God says He works all things together for good in those who love Him, and I do love Him, but I must not forget that the good is not how most people define it. I will not necessarily become healthy, wealthy, or respected. Instead, God uses all things to transform me into the image of His Son. That is a good thing.

Last year my word was “unflappable” and these days I’m thinking that word should still be taped to the wall. The Son of God was never upset and anxious and that is what God wants for me, but I’m not there yet.

Corrie Ten Boom, a Dutch woman who spent time in a WWII prison camp, said, “I have learned not to hold on to anything too tightly, for it hurts when God pries my fingers loose.”

I need that lesson too, and realize that the things she talked about are not mere possessions. While they can appeal to me and become weights to my life, having my own way is even more of a problem. I like the security of planning, the settled feeling of knowing what will happen next, but God continually upsets my plans. He is prying my fingers loose and will not let me hold on to them. Instead I need to trust Him with what happens next.

Today’s reading is one verse, but the context helps me with what God is working on in my life. The psalmist was also being tested, but could look beyond the tests to the outcome—far better than I can! He said this:
Oh, bless our God, you peoples! And make the voice of His praise to be heard, Who keeps our soul among the living, and does not allow our feet to be moved. For You, O God, have tested us; You have refined us as silver is refined. You brought us into the net; You laid affliction on our backs. You have caused men to ride over our heads; we went through fire and through water; but You brought us out to rich fulfillment (Psalm 66:8-12).
This person knew that God would not let the feet of His people slip. He would keep us unflappable, even in affliction, oppression, fire and flood. He also knew that after God finished the refining process, we realize His care and protection through it all and also see rich and greatly fulfilling results.

One thought is, “when life hands you lemons, make lemonade” but that isn’t as easy as it sounds. I’m a natural pessimist and fight to keep an optimistic perspective. Instead, I’ve had to learn the discipline of praise. In fact, the Bible speaks of “the sacrifice of praise” which tells me that offering praise and thanksgiving to God will sometimes mean giving up what I really feel like and just doing it.

So instead of making lemonade, I must remember that God is good. Even when I cannot see evidence for His goodness because the lemons are too large and sour, I can keep saying it—because it is true; God is good. He will never leave me or forsake me, and He will use all things for my good, and the results will be far better than lemonade.

No comments: