June 16, 2008

Why Trials?

Last week my color printer was acting up. After changing the cartridges and updating the software, I put it through a series of tests to make sure it would perform the way it was supposed to and print perfect copies.

This morning I think about other things we test and want perfection from. Every new car we’ve ever bought was first taken for a test drive. We didn’t want any surprises after we brought it home. We test mattresses and sofas by sitting or stretching out on them. I’ve bought a few things without testing them and been disappointed in their performance.

I’m not surprised that God tests me. Even though I don’t like it, it makes sense that He wants to make sure I’m going to perform the way He expects. He has blessed me in so many ways and from those blessings, I should respond by honoring Him. The Bible describes it in 1 Peter 1:3-7.
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ. . . .
In Christ I have the assurance of eternal life and the promise of God to keep me in His care until that day that I leave this earth to spend forever with Him. Yet while I am here and as God sees necessary, life is somewhat less than heaven on earth! Life is one big test that should prove my faith will result in praise and honor when Jesus Christ shows up.

What would be the alternative? I suppose I could be totally unprepared for the return of Christ, not wanting that to happen because He will interfere with my plans. I suppose if God didn’t test me, I could settle into a complacency in His perfect care for me and the delights of providential blessing. If life were like heaven, why would I even think of going there? If I had no trials at all, my faith would be in a God who pampered me, indulged me, paid heed to my fleshy I-wants. God is not like that!

My devotional reading for today gives a good description of what God is doing when He brings trials into my life. It says that “manifold trials and temptations bring us out of those things which are opposed to the grace of God, and conform us to the image of His dear Son.”

He is right. I need trials and temptations “to cure” me of my worldly spirit, carnality and carelessness, light, vague or empty profession, and any form of godliness that is just that—only a form and not the real thing. Trials tend to erase all pride and self-righteousness. Only trials can keep me from “resting short of divine teachings and heavenly blessings.” Trials keep me seeking the face of God.

Otherwise I settle for being at ease and missing out on the secrets of a powerful relationship with the One who can carry me through the worst that life could deal me. Otherwise I would settle for a false, or deceptive, or hypocritical, or presumptuous faith, maybe even unsound in doctrine and without substance. Trials teach me to be “simple and sincere, honest and upright, tender and teachable” and to know by experience what a broken and contrite spirit is all about.

Oh, I will yelp and moan and feel sorry for myself, but deep in my heart, I know the value of trials. James writes that we should rejoice when they come because God is using them, not only to test my faith, but build perfection in me.

Actually, there is something almost humorous here. I’ve occasionally been criticized for being a perfectionist, as if trying to do something to the best of my ability is some sort of negative goal. But perfection is God’s goal! I might resist the trials that God uses as tools in the process, even pick the wrong things to make perfect, yet perfection is His idea and His promise. He wants me to be like Jesus, who is perfect. It seems like a good idea to make that my goal too.

No comments: