May 8, 2008

Get at it, keep at it!

My studio is filled to the brim, literally. One end has three stuffed bookcases, a cupboard full of paper supplies, a desk, hutch and filing dolly with family tree information, and a sewing cabinet for my serger.

The middle overflows with a huge computer desk (covered in file trays, two printers etc.) and a tall wall cabinet full of art supplies, books, paper and canvases. The other end (more like half) has four rolling storage with quilts in various stages of completion, two more tall cupboards and one shorter one full of sewing supplies, a quilter’s ironing board, two large tables with sewing machines on them, a bookshelf with boxes of more quilts in various stages of being finished, and a design wall.

Yesterday I tackled the bookcase end and got rid of a stack of stuff. Besides that, I hit my kitchen cookbook shelf, went through a pile of clipped recipes, etc. and put most of it in the paper recycle bin, saving only what I think I might live long enough to use.

Today I need to sort, toss and tidy some more of my studio, but my mood for paring down this space is beginning to fade. I’d much rather finish one of those quilts than try to decide what stays and what goes. Distractions abound.

However, before I settle to read the Bible and my devotional guide, I always ask God to give me what I need for each day. This morning, as every morning, He heard me. This is what He tossed back: “The lazy man does not roast what he took in hunting, but diligence is man’s precious possession” (Proverbs 12:27)

Oh, my. While the devotional reading put a lofty spiritual turn to this, I see it in a practical light. God is telling me that this stuff has been hunted and collected but not used, partly because I am lazy or I procrastinate or I acquired it with good intentions but never followed through. Whatever the reason, not using all this stuff puts a weight on me. Just having it intrudes into my mind and fights for my attention. I’m not easily able to concentrate on the most important things. Simply put, all this stuff distracts me from clearly knowing what the Lord wants me to do next.

I can easily read it this way: “The lazy woman does not use all the stuff she collects, but instead of valuing all that stuff that is just sitting there, she should consider diligence her most precious possession and either get at using what she has, or give it to someone else and be more organized so her life can be more effective.

This is a short post. I have lots to do today!

No comments: