March 13, 2008

Food for Today

In my estimation, the book of Judges is the best description of human nature in the Bible. It tells how God’s people disobeyed Him, He allowed the consequences, they cried out to Him, He rescued them, but they soon were disobedient and the cycle repeated itself.

Logically, this makes little sense. Most people learn something from their mistakes, even if they repeat the same error a few times, but these people didn’t learn much at all. I’ve read this book with frustration, but now it just makes me sad.

I’m sad because I know the cycles too. Last week I had a problem and couldn’t figure out what I should do. I asked the Lord for help. During the course of the day, I happened to reread a piece of my own devotional writing from twenty years ago and discovered Scripture and the answer to my current problem! I was delighted, but perplexed that I’d not remembered what I’d already learned.

God gave me a fairly good memory for details. I’m good with crosswords and trivia games, and can remember household tips, computer tricks, and all sorts of other things. But when it comes to remembering spiritual truth, I seem as dense as a person can be. I know the tricks for remembering: review it, obey it, teach it to someone else, but when I need it, more often than not I have to go digging all over again.

Part of the reason for this lies in the New Testament account of Jesus fasting in the wilderness, being hungry, and then being tempted. Satan said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.

Jesus replied, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God’” (Matthew 4:4).

I’ve studied this passage and one thing I do remember is the distinct meaning of “word” as it appears in Jesus’ answer. Normally, the New Testament uses “logos” which is loaded with meaning. The dictionary says logos is “the divine wisdom manifest in the creation, government, and redemption of the world and often identified with the second person of the Trinity” and gives as a secondary meaning, “reason that in ancient Greek philosophy is the controlling principle in the universe.” The Bible writers were inspired to use this Greek word to tell readers that Jesus is that controlling principle.

However, Jesus didn’t use logos when He replied to Satan’s taunt. He used another word, rhema. The Bible dictionary I use says it is “that which is or has been uttered by the living voice, a thing spoken” but another source says it means, “a word spoken for the need of the moment.”

I’ve also seen rhema compared to the manna in the wilderness that had to be gathered each day because it would not be edible the next day. In that Old Testament situation, God was teaching His people to rely on Him daily, never taking His supply for granted. Rhema speaks of my need to go to God every day for sustenance for my spiritual life. I cannot live by bread (physical sustenance) alone, but have a spirit that must be nourished from the Word of God, and must have something to give me what I need to meet the challenges of each day.

Twenty years ago, a word from the Lord nourished me. Last week, He fed me the same word, but not from my memory. He wanted me to ask Him for help and seek Him all over again, not draw it from a filing cabinet like a pat answer or a memorized motto.

Another reason I needed to hear that word again is found in several other verses. Jude 5 says, “But I want to remind you, though you once knew this. . . .” 2 Thessalonians 2:5 says, “Do you not remember that when I was still with you I told you these things?” 2 Peter 2:12-15 says, “I will not be negligent to remind you always of these things, though you know and are established in the present truth. Yes, I think it is right . . . to stir you up by reminding you . . . Moreover I will be careful to ensure that you always have a reminder of these things after my decease.

I get the message. Forgetfulness is not necessarily a symptom of old age or dementia. The people of God forget even those things that we were told, that we once knew, and even those truths in which we are firmly established. I am going to forget. I am probably going to forget that I will forget. God needs to remind me over and over. Such is the nature of being a sinful human being whose mind is in constant need of renewal (Romans 12:2).

This is my rhema for today, a bit of a bitter morsel, yet God offers it as food to chew on and think about today because He knows I need it in my diet and that something may come up today that this word will nourish.

No comments: