March 18, 2008

Death > Life > Eternal Rewards

My latest book purchase is titled Respectable Sins. The back of the book asks why Christians can be stern about most things God calls sin, yet excuse behaviors like jealousy, anger, pride and unthankfulness. It suggests that in Christian circles, some sins have become socially acceptable.

I’ve not read this book, but I expect when I do that I will be convicted by it. I struggle with simple selfishness. When I make plans, I don’t like interruptions or unexpected situations where I have to alter what I want to do and do something else instead. I like having my own way, and self-denial is a constant challenge, but I do know that such denial pleases God.

That book title reminds me of the absence in Christian teaching concerning this self-denial thing. Who preaches or writes about the idea of “reckoning ourselves to be dead indeed unto sin” (Romans 6:11)? Yet the Bible says clearly that because we are in Christ, we are “alive to God” and are supposed to live accordingly. Sadly, many Christians have no idea what this death to self, alive to God principle means, never mind how to live it out. It is simply not taught.

These words from Romans are just another way of expressing that we must “take up our cross and deny ourselves” (Matthew 16:24). God’s Word teaches that we have died in Christ and are to reckon or consider ourselves dead to those sinful things that once attracted us. With new life in Christ, we are also made alive to God. Romans 6:12-14 says:
Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts. And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace.
These verses seem clear: if I want to conquer sin, then I need to consider my sin nature as a dead, unresponsive thing, and focus on that which is alive and from the Lord.

My reading today in God is Enough suggests one way to do it. We can look at this “I,” of whom we are so fond, as a stranger in whom we take no interest. We can say, “I do not know you” and refuse to be interested in anything that comes from, or is suggested by, that old self.

The Bible also adds what I call the ‘replacement’ principle. It is not enough to say no to sin. As Romans 6 says, I need to also say yes to God. By doing that, there is no space or time for the old nature to rule. If I am occupied with the will of God, I don’t have any inclination, energy, or reason to follow that dead stranger.

Another aspect of this is recognizing how subtle sin can be. For instance, I can be motivated by spiritual pride to “deny myself and do what God wants” because this will make me “spiritual” but this is a false and selfish “obedience” that does not please God. Living for Him is just that—living for Him, not for whatever I can get out of it.

If I put my righteousness on a pedestal as if I had something to do with it, and look down on those who are not so adept at saying no to their old nature—that attitude makes me also guilty. Self wants to rule, works hard at it, in fact. Considering this very active part of me as a dead thing is not easy. It can be done only by constantly considering that it is already done. I died with Jesus at the Cross—in Christ, I am alive, but not I; it is Christ who lives in me (Galatians 2:20).

Part of how God encourages this thinking is that He rewards those who live by it. Obedience may be frightening, difficult, even painful, but at the same time, it brings a peace and joy that do not depend on circumstances and cannot be taken away. Obedience also brings that sense of knowing that what I did pleases God; it was the right thing. I may not see any immediate results, but being dead to sin and alive to God has eternal consequences.

No comments: