January 28, 2008

Shh . . . just listen

Friday night at this conference the organizers presented the line-up and workshops for next year. This was before I’d started anything, and was something like dangling dessert before the appetizer. Last night I poured over the brochure wondering what I should take, if I should come at all, what would be the best decision in light of another participant wanting me to take the same classes she’d signed up for, and so on. My roommate listened to me for a while, then said, “If it’s this hard to figure out, maybe you shouldn’t come at all.”

Nearly every morning when I sit down before God, I hear His still small voice telling me to drop any anxious thoughts, prayer burdens or other distractions and just pay attention to what He says. This morning is no different. I am particularly directed to Proverbs 1:23 leading to 32 and 33. These verses say:
“Turn at my rebuke; surely I will pour out my spirit on you; I will make my words known to you. . . . For the waywardness of the simple will kill them, and the complacency of fools will destroy them; but whoever listens to me will live in safety and be at ease, without fear of harm.”
Proverbs is a difficult book in some ways. A proverb is a general saying that is generally true. However, it cannot be interpreted entirely the same way as the rest of Scripture. For instance, “Red in the morning, sailors’ warning, red at night, sailors’ delight” is a proverb (not in the Old Testament). While a red sky at dawn often indicates a windy day ahead, this is not always true. So when reading this book, I need to keep in mind the nature of a proverb.

However, this is also the Word of God. When God speaks, I cannot think this is just a proverb. He is speaking to me and I am to listen up, which is exactly what these verses are about—listening and taking seriously what He says.

Wandering away from God’s Word is dangerous and could even lead to death. I’ve seen that happen. Not taking seriously what He says and having an ‘I could care less’ attitude is also dangerous. Lives are destroyed when people ignore the principles and truths from God’s Word.

The wonderful promise here is simple: listen, be assured of His care, and don’t live in fear. This proverb does not promise that evil will never happen if I do this. Rather it says I will not be afraid of it. While it does say I will live in safety, the rest of the Bible (and life itself) is more realistic, so I must remember this is a proverb and not think God lied to me when I am less than safe.

These verses also apply to last night’s anxiety. Instead of slowing down and even asking God what He wants me to do, I was flapping all over the place trying to figure out what I wanted or what I should do. So I simply asked Him to show me what He wants. I am listening and my heart is at rest. I know He will tell me. That knowing produces peace; I will make the right decision. God is enough.

No comments: