January 2, 2008

God is

In today’s reading in God is Enough the author relates a perplexing time of life and telling a purported wise and spiritual person his tale of woe. He says, “She listened patiently, but when I had finished my story and had paused, expecting sympathy and consideration, she simply said, ‘Yes, all you say may be very true, but then, in spite of it all, there is God.’”

This anecdote reminds me of two verses. The first is Isaiah 53:6 which offers the most basic description of sin, one that most people will not accept. It says, “All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned, every one, to his own way; and the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all.

Most people think of sin as murder, envy, adultery, and other obvious actions and attitudes toward others. Who would put “doing my own thing” in the same category? Yet God does. Whenever I make choices or take action that is apart from His revealed will, I am going my own way. Even as He tells me to trust Him but I trust myself or my own ideas instead, I am guilty of iniquity.

The person who wrote that devotional wanted a solution, likely a quick one. He was disappointed at not being offered one, and perplexed and even annoyed at being directed to God. I don’t know what went through His mind, but putting myself in the same place, I’d be thinking things like, “God doesn’t care or I wouldn’t be in this predicament” or “I’ve already prayed and nothing happened” or “What God wants from me is more than I can handle” or “I don’t want pat answers but real solutions.”

When I’m directed to look up, but reply with, “Yes, but. . . .” then I too have turned my own way and I need to turn back.

But what makes it so difficult? The other verse that comes to mind is from Hebrews 11:6 and at least partly answers that question. It says, “But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

The woman who answered, “There is God” knew by faith that God is, and no doubt also knew that He rewards those who come to Him. God is pleased when we reach the place in our faith journey where we can say, “God is” and “God will help” and “God is enough.”

I prayed yesterday about my sore arm and left it in His hands. He seemed to guide me to medication that I’d not tried before, but at the same time and because of extra use, the deltoid muscle my other arm started hurting. Two arms not working? What is this, God?

A sling came to mind. Trusting the Lord, I put the first arm in one. By midday it felt much better. This morning I cannot lift it higher than my shoulder, but yesterday I couldn’t lift it at all. The other arm is still a bit sore but I’m not doing much with it, and still asking God to do whatever He wants done. He seems to keep telling me to seek His face and He will reward my diligence.

The promises of God are practical. He tells me to “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths” (Proverbs 3:5-6).

My own understanding includes solutions like strong pain killers, physiotherapy, and the usual stuff of ‘common sense’ which He may or may not point me toward. The key is not the answers but who is giving the directions.

People sometimes say “You are such a smart person,” but being a Christian is not for clever or ingenious people who can come up with all sorts of ways to run their lives. I do much better at it when I am wimpy, even gimpy, and simply acknowledge that “there is God” and then dare to believe He will take care of me in whatever way fits His will.

2 comments:

darien said...

I'm sorry you hurt yourself Elsie. I am also sorry that you may think I wasn't reading anymore...but I am, every day. I am just so busy with French, and tired at the end of the day, that having to actually put thoughts in writing seems a little daunting sometimes.

Best wishes to you and your sweetie. I hope your rest this month helps in every way!

Crystal

Elsie Montgomery said...

Thank you! French would tire me out too!

My arm is much better. Praise God!