December 24, 2007

Who can be a priest?

Each denomination has terminology to designate their leaders. Included in this list are bishops, overseers, elders, pastors, ministers, priests, deacons and shepherds. While the New Testament pattern for the church does include leaders responsible for various duties, it also says that everyone who believes belongs to a priesthood.

This is found in 1 Peter 2:9. “But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light.

This designation of a royal priesthood is rooted in Exodus 19:3-6 where God told Moses, “Thus you shall say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel: ‘You have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles’ wings and brought you to Myself. Now therefore, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be a special treasure to Me above all people; for all the earth is Mine. And you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words which you shall speak to the children of Israel.

The entire nation was supposed to serve God and the people of the world as priests. They were hit and miss, for the most part, so when Christ came, He created a new body of people who are to do the same thing. As I read through the list of duties or responsibilities for Old Testament priests in Recalling the Hope of Glory, I am asking myself if we are failing as Israel did, or if the church has taken seriously this vital role. I’m also using this as a checklist for myself.

Priestly duties are outlined in several places. Deuteronomy 33:9-10 says, “For they have observed Your word and kept Your covenant. They shall teach Jacob Your judgments, and Israel Your law. They shall put incense before You, and a whole burnt sacrifice on Your altar.

The first requirement was to practice what they preached. God’s wrath often fell on priests who abused their office. As a member of the New Testament “royal priesthood” I’m obviously to do the same. Those trapped in sin will not listen to me if my life is as messed up as theirs. How can I tell someone else to trust and obey God if I’m not doing it?

Priests are also supposed to instruct the people in godly living and holy service. Malachi 2:7 says, “For the lips of a priest should keep knowledge, and people should seek the law from his mouth; for he is the messenger of the Lord of hosts.

The New Testament says, “For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved. How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher?” (Romans 10:13-14)

People do not like being “preached” at, yet this is a legitimate term for anyone who is proclaiming what the Bible says. Verse 17 says, “So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.” Without hearing it spoken, reading it, being exposed to it, the likelihood of anyone having saving faith is diminished. Preaching is a necessity, and priests are supposed to preach.

I’m a woman who understands the reasons for and am content with several New Testament gender restrictions. I am able to teach the Word of God to children and other women, and share it with anyone. That challenge is enough for me. I realize that as a member of a “royal priesthood” I can fulfill my role within those confines and have no ambition for the public preaching and leadership of a church. I’m happy to leave that responsibility with the men—I’m already too busy!

Another duty of priests is making intercessory prayer. A few weeks ago as I went to prayer, I was complaining in my mind about the time it took to pray, and that I wanted to get my work done. At that moment, the Holy Spirit spoke loud and clear, “This is your work.” Someday He will show me the results of my labor.

The Old Testament priests were also to provide access to God by keeping the fire going on the altar for the daily sacrifices. Through those offerings, the people were able to approach God at any time because their sins were covered. When Christ died for sin, this ritual became unnecessary, however, today’s priests are responsible for making known and explain what the Bible teaches about approaching and worshiping God through Jesus. Back then, the blood brought home the seriousness of sin and the necessity for a substitute that died for that sin. The death of Christ is the final fulfilment of that requirement, but because His blood is not shed before our eyes, we seem to easily forget the importance of what He has done for us. As priests we need to remind one another often—and keep that fire going.

This is part of the last duty listed for priests; we are to guard and care for holy things, protecting the sanctuary from misuse or defilement. Today, the church and each believer are the “temples of the Holy Spirit” and as priests, we are to give that same care to one another. The holiness of each believer is part of my responsibility to God as His priest.

In my church I have a teaching role involving a class of women, but that is a small part of what I am called to do. As I reread this list, it strikes me that no Christian should ever complain that they don’t have a part or a role to play in the church, nor should they back off and refuse to get involved. This business of being a “royal priesthood” has enough responsibility to keep anyone busy, and is so vital to the spiritual health and well-being of the Body of Christ that we need everyone actively on the job.

The book I’m reading suggests that church leaders often hand over responsibility for worship to those who can play a musical instrument without ensuring that they also are qualified in other areas of priestly responsibilities. I’m glad that qualification for belonging to the “royal priesthood” does not depend on seminary training, or any other human mandate. Instead, anyone who has faith in Christ and is obedient to Him can be, and is already, a priest.

No comments: