December 7, 2007

Encouraged by Isaac

Abraham is called the father of faith, an example for both Jews and Christians. However, he made mistakes. The biggest one came long after God promised him a son. As he and his wife Sarah aged without having any children, Abraham became desperate and tried to fulfill that promise himself. At Sarah’s suggestion, he slept with her maid, Hagar. Ishmael was born, but this was not the son God promised. Later, when it seemed totally impossible, Sarah (at ninety years old) conceived and bore Isaac.

Isaac seems to me a passive sort of man who always did what he was told. As a young man, he let his father strap him to an altar as a sacrifice without any protest. I’ve wondered about his faith and about the example of his father. Did Isaac trust God because his dad did, or did he have his own faith?

This morning I’m reading a bit about him and am pleased to find that he surpassed his father in at least one area of his spiritual life. Genesis 25:21 says, “Now Isaac pleaded with the Lord for his wife, because she was barren; and the Lord granted his plea, and Rebekah his wife conceived.

This is significant. Children often follow in the pattern created by their parents, usually the pattern of sin. The Bible records many examples where sons made the same mistakes as their fathers. This is true today. I see it in my own family and am not happy that they so easily follow my bad examples.

Maybe Isaac stuck out his jaw and determined I will not be like my father. Some do that, but usually they can’t help but turn out just like dad. In Isaac’s case, I’d like to think that he rose above his dad’s mistake by the grace of God. This gives me hope for my family and for all parents who make mistakes that they don’t want their children to imitate.

The other encouragement I get from this verse is simply to plead with the Lord. Isaac prayed for his wife who was childless, but there are many ways someone’s life can be barren. Christians can be empty, not filled with the Spirit and not bearing His fruit. I can pray for them. Those who do not believe and have a huge spiritual void in their life are also barren, sometimes without even knowing what is missing. They are trying to jam things that do not fit into that empty space and are frustrated or even desperate. I can talk to God on their behalf.

But, for me prayer is hard work. It drains and exhausts my spirit, even though when I’ve prayed and am finished, God lifts me up again. It is a war that I always win—if I engage myself. If I don’t, I feel agitated, distracted, tired, or somehow not my best all day. I have to fight to pray, never mind that prayer itself is a spiritual battle.

That said, Isaac’s example encourages me and my prayer list awaits me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this.