December 30, 2007

Celebrating God

Author Allen P. Ross ends a chapter in Recalling the Hope of Glory about seasonal celebrations in the Old Testament with this: “When worship becomes a celebration in every sense of the word, then people might actually be glad when it is time to go to the house of the Lord.”

I don’t know what this man’s experience has been, but it sounds like he knows far too many Christians who consider church attendance a duty, and not a happy one. He is correct in saying that Christian worship has lost much by abandoning the development of special celebrations that remind us of our heritage, yet I can only examine my own heart in this matter. Even though some seem less than joyful, I’ve no idea what goes on in the hearts of those in the pew next to me.

Since this year is almost over, I’m already reflecting on my own pattern of worship. On the negative end, I remember some days when I could hardly wait for church to be over. My class may have been a source of joy and my heart was filled with praise, but something happened to me on the way from the classroom to the sanctuary. It may have been the enemy trying to destroy my happy response to the work the Lord was doing that morning, yet I must take responsibility for letting that happen.

Most of the time, particularly after starting to read this great book on worship, I’ve been glad in the house of the Lord. The church worship service has been exactly that for me, so when I read Psalm 27:4-6, I can wholeheartedly say Amen!
“One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek Him in his temple. For in the day of trouble He will keep me safe in His dwelling; He will hide me in the shelter of His tabernacle and set me high upon a rock. Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me; at His tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy; I will sing and make music to the Lord.”
Using Ross’ phrase, how does worship become a celebration? According to those who write about such things, both words describe exercises or habits called spiritual disciplines, things that Christians are supposed to do. These disciplines do not make us more spiritual or more godly, but I call them “places of grace” for in the doing, I am put into a place where God can bless me and change my life.

For instance, reading Scripture every day puts me in a place where I can hear God speak. Prayer is the same. Repentance opens my heart for change, and confession clarifies that my mind is in tune with His. As for worship, the Bible says that God inhabits the praises of His people and when I praise God, He almost always gives me a deeper sense of His presence.

Yet worship is sometimes a sacrifice. In other words, I have to give up something in order to worship God. This is usually my unworthy and self-centered thoughts, but if I don’t worship and adore Him, there is nothing to celebrate. Oh, in a worldly sense there might be. I could celebrate the completion of a quilt or a special person’s birthday or the sale of something written, but the spiritual discipline of celebration is about having a party because of the greatness of God.

I agree with Ross in that Christians don’t often have such parties. We rejoice in new babies, marriages, happy events in people’s lives, and so we should, but I cannot think of one time where I’ve attended a special celebration (other than our weekly worship service) that was focused only on the wonder and glory of our Lord.

We’ve been invited to a neighborhood party on New Year’s Eve. It will be far from that celebration I’ve just described. The neighbors don’t know the wonder and glory of God. They may celebrate the good things of the past year, even their hopes for next year, but without realizing that all of those good things came from the hand of God who “makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

My heart is unsure about attending this party. They know we are ‘different’ and that we go to church. Some know more, that our faith is not merely about church attendance. None of them know the deep desire in my heart to celebrate God most of the time, not just at the end of the year. This might be an opportunity to express that, but God could ask that we simply say no to their party and celebrate instead with only Him.

No comments: