October 20, 2007

Speaking of Him . . .

Last night I met a young Christian woman who quickly made known her depth of faith. Within five minutes of introduction, she told me of her love for the Lord and the way He was encouraging her in the ministry that He gave her. She was as open and transparent as anyone I’ve ever met, a delightful child of God.

I read 1 Thessalonians 1:8 this morning and thought of her, but also was convicted about my own life. Paul wrote, “For from you the word of the Lord has sounded forth, not only in Macedonia and Achaia, but also in every place. Your faith toward God has gone out, so that we do not need to say anything.

When Paul wrote this epistle to the church at Thessalonica, he had no rebuke for them. They were doing everything that God gave them to do, including talking to everyone about Him. Their love for the Lord was obvious. They told others because they wanted them to know this same Jesus that had done so much for them. Paul commended them, but I don’t think he would say this in a letter to me.

I used to talk much more about my faith, but after people rejected it (I felt like they rejected me too) I became less vocal. Writing about it is easier, but a blog, an article or even a personal letter isn’t quite the same as a face to face conversation.

The book I’m reading talks about the goodness of God and His holiness. He is above and unlike anything or anyone. “This is what the LORD says—Israel’s King and Redeemer, the LORD almighty; I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God. Who then is like me? Let him proclaim it.

Pagan people, and even the more civilized, worship idols of their own design, idols that have the same flaws as those who made them. They do not know about the holiness of the One who is the first and the last. Shirley Maclean stands on a beach with her arms in the air and shouts, “I am god.” She has no idea what she is saying, or who she is claiming to be.

God is more than statues, carvings, images, or vain imagination. While we are made in His image, even the most godly of us fall far short of reflecting who He is. At times, I truly am at a loss for words to describe Him, to tell others about Him, to proclaim His holiness, but that is no excuse for remaining silent.

No comments: