October 8, 2007

My most precious commodity

Today is Thanksgiving Day in Canada. Some of the family will be over for turkey dinner and pumpkin pie. Many trees lost their leaves in last night’s wind, but the day is grand with blue skies, light cloud, and autumn colors. I’ve much for which to be thankful.

However, the events of the past few days have me on another track. I’ve experienced a couple of days of strong spiritual warfare, a sense that spiritual enemies were trying to stop me in some way. The battle became intense in my Sunday school class. I could sense a strong conflict, but it was nothing outwardly observably. I pressed on with my material.

Two unsaved ladies were present. One has been coming for a few weeks, the other for the second week in a row. She is from another faith, a strong movement throughout the world. At the end, another lady asked a question and I found myself explaining the gospel in terms of the difference between Law-keeping and a changed heart. During that time, I could almost see the clashing of swords. After class, another regular member told me she felt it too.

Later in the day, I was physically and mentally exhausted. My thoughts included the idea that this is too hard, it is time to retire, and if not, God, what do You want me to do with the rest of my life. How should I spend my time?

My devotional reading today is Mark 12:41-44. The thoughts it provokes seem suitable for today. “Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a fraction of a penny. Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, ‘I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.’”

I could make an excuse about giving and this passage. I am not a widow. My husband earns most of our income so he makes most of the donation decisions. I don’t think it is my place alone to determine how much we give. However, he is generous and God has blessed him for it. But that is his story.

I don’t have a huge income, just a bit from writing and other ‘at home’ efforts. I have learned to be generous too, partly because I have little reason to spend it on myself, and see so many other people that need it more than I do. I’ve a strong sense that God is not using this to speak to me about money, but about another resource that I guard far more diligently than my pocketbook—my time.

A few weeks ago I was inwardly complaining about the time it takes to pray. It cuts much out of every morning and my to-do list is long. As I mused that I had so much work to do, God heard my heart, and I heard clearly His point of view: “Praying is your work.”

In this incident with the widow and her giving, Jesus commends her for giving all she had to live on, implying that she would need to earn more before she could eat again. This was truly a sacrifice. As I think about the prime time God asks from me, I feel the pinch of sacrifice. Morning is the most energetic part of the day for me, the time I feel most alert and able to do my best work. That is the time He wants me to give totally to Him.

Does that mean the rest of the day is mine, to do with as I wish? I don’t think so. If I’ve learned nothing else in thirty plus years of following Christ it is that I am His all the time, not just on Sundays, not just for “spiritual” work, not just when He gives me a specific job or lays a need before me and asks me to fill it. All of my days are His, all of my hours, minutes. Seeking His will for Sunday’s lesson material is one thing, but I need to seek His face for today, for the next hour, for the next thing on my to-do list.

God told Joshua, “Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.

Day and night, hours and minutes, all for Jesus—and it will be a sacrifice, but it will also mean prosperity and success—and I don’t think He is talking about money and fame.

No comments: