October 18, 2007

Lowering my Aim

I’ve met a few famous people, and after meeting them, my ideas of what makes a person great are changing.

I used to think that reaching the top of the ladder would bring with it a superior sense of confidence in oneself and an aloofness from the ordinary person. Some are like that, but for the most part, the authors, speakers, politicians and entertainers that I’ve met are surprisingly humble and approachable. They come to mind as I’m reading Recalling the Hope of Glory by Alan Ross.

Ross begins this book by discussing the holiness of God. He points to Isaiah 57:15: “For thus says the High and Lofty One who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: ‘I dwell in the high and holy place, with him who has a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.’”

In Isaiah 6, the prophet had a vision in the temple where angelic beings declared the holiness of God. What he heard and saw astounded and convicted him. He recognized his own sinfulness and the sinfulness of the people around him. He made no excuses, asked for no favors. Instead he cried out, “Woe is me, for I am undone!

Upon his confession of sin, God forgave Isaiah and gave him a job to do. Later Isaiah tells the people, who were still unrepentant, that their Holy God lives in a high and holy place. He is a different, other than, separate from, cannot be compared with any other being. He is holy, holy, holy and even unapproachable, yet He also chooses to dwell with those who humble themselves. In fact, this verse says that God’s high and holy dwelling place is with such people—humble people can dwell with Him, but only in their humility!

The more I learn about the greatness of God, the more I realize the enormity of His mercy and grace. He is superior, over all creation. He could act like it. He could be aloof from everyone and everything. He could turn His glory away from us and has every right and reason to do so. But He chooses to make Himself at home in the hearts of people who know their place before Him and can say with Isaiah, “Woe is me, for I am undone.

Is God humble? Is He like those famous people I have met who do not consider themselves anything special? Does He say, “Aw, shucks” when praised?

Of course He doesn’t, yet there is a humility about God that is exemplified in Jesus Christ. This is the true humility described in Philippians 2:5-8, “Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery (something held on to) to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and become obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.

Holiness and humility. The High and ‘other than’ God choose to become one of us. I cannot wrap my mind around it, but I know it is true.

For me, true humility is choosing to be a servant of the most High, not caring about reputation or what I look like. It is giving up my life (and my ‘rights’) to serve God. It is having the mind of Jesus. Whew, I’ve a lofty target, and to hit it I must stop aiming high and lower myself.

No comments: