October 15, 2007

Glorify God, with or without words

Wouldn’t you know it, the question I’d hoped to ask yesterday didn’t get asked! However, by everything else that was discussed, I was blessed. For a few minutes the ladies talked about the way they glorify God in simple things, like eating and drinking (1 Corinthians 10:31) and taking care of their homes. Their answers revealed that words were often unnecessary, and glorifying God was mostly about their attitude. Isn’t the heart where homage begins?

My verse for today seems an odd one. It is Benaiah, who served King David, responding to David’s decision to appoint Solomon king in his place. In 1 Kings 1:37 he says, “As the LORD has been with my lord the king, even so may He be with Solomon, and make his throne greater than the throne of my lord King David.

The devotional reads, “He (David) was a king in the wilderness when as a shepherd of his father’s sheep he put a lion to flight in the name of the Lord. Later when Goliath threatened Israel . . . David remained unafraid. There is no fear in the heart of a king. But above all, when as a fugitive from Saul he suddenly found his pursuer at his mercy, he resolutely refused to strike the blow that could have brought him quick relief. This was true kingship, for he who cannot control his own spirit is no king. A true king is king under all circumstances. He reigns everywhere.

As I read these words, I thought of the ladies in my class who want to glorify God even as they clean the bathroom or take out the garbage. My husband teaches another class and he said people were asking, “How can I be Christian in this situation. . . .”

I feel the joy of the Lord with these responses. Christians have been accused of hypocrisy in that they are “Sunday Christians” who live one way that day and do whatever they please the rest of the week. These people are not like that. They want to glorify God all the time and in every situation. A true Christian is a servant of the King under all circumstances.

One question I did ask was, “How are you motivated to change by seeing God’s glory in His people?” This morning is my turn to answer that. My class motivates me to stop grumbling about my to-do list, stop resenting that I need to vacuum again, and instead be thankful that He gives me a to-do list, and a house to vacuum, and the strength to tackle these ordinary things of life.

They also motivate me to recognize that my attitude of homage toward my King will show up in grace and acceptance of His decisions, even those that bring challenges to my life, like David’s decision would bring challenges to Benaiah’s life. Responding to that challenge with hope and a positive attitude is a way to glorify Him.

No comments: