August 15, 2007

Truth in a Person

In Angela Hunt’s book, The Truth Teller (links in yesterday's post), a child is born through the desire of a widow to have her dead husband’s child and the manipulations of a wealthy schemer who bribes her doctor to replace the husband’s DNA with that of a well-preserved ‘early’ man.

Instead of a normal child, the rich man hopes for a near perfect child, the doctor hopes he doesn’t get caught, and the woman hasn’t a clue what is going on. Just before the baby is born, she finds out what was done to her, and helped by her husband’s best friend, she goes into hiding. When the boy is five, she realized he is “normal in every way,” but he has an incredible ability to know when someone is lying. He also never lies himself.

Fiction of course, but an intriguing idea. It is based on the idea that the farther humanity gets from those first created, the more corrupt we become. DNA from an ancient donor would produce a child less corrupt.

Unfortunately, it could not work. Sin corrupts totally, 5000 years ago or today. Besides, in a real world, such a child could not be “normal in every way.” The author says that this little boy “disobeys sometimes” and disobedience is tied directly to believing a lie.

It has taken me a long time to realize that. The Liar is subtle. Yet most of what he feeds me can be lumped into a few large categories. One is, “God doesn’t really want the best for you.” When I fall for that one, I take charge of my own life without consulting Him. That is disobedience.

Another is, “Everyone else is doing it.” I know, that sounds like a typical teen trying to convince his parent to allow something he wants, but the enemy who lies to me uses it to make me resist any restraints the Lord might put on me. That spells disobedience.

Another, and perhaps a form of the first, is, “You will never have what you want unless you fight for it.” When I believe that one, I stop trusting God and start trusting myself. More disobedience soon follows. The list goes on.

But what I am saying is that anyone who could detect all lies would immediately spot the subtle reasoning of Satan, who is the Liar. As a Christian, if I had that ability, I would never disobey God. Or would I? Maybe I’d also need a perfectly pure heart.

Jesus once said, “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.” I’ve wondered what that means. My heart has been cleansed by His blood through faith, but could I claim to be pure of heart? Or does that describe my standing or position before God rather than an actual possession? Would I have to be like this little boy and know all lies? Or would I also have to resist all of them and never sin?

Heady questions. The Bible talks about the purity of the saints as our standing before God. He looks at us and sees the pure simplicity of His Son, Jesus Christ. It also challenges us to be pure, to grow toward purity. In other words, we are to become what He says we already are.

As for seeing God, another perplexity. How can I see someone who is without a body, a Spirit? Certainly through the eyes of faith, and someday in glory, but I have no clue how that will happen or with what faculties I will see Him.

More important, and the bottom line is that He makes a connection between my ability to experience Him and my purity. The less deceit and corruption within my heart, the more I will know of Him and the wonders of who He is. Junk covers up His glory. Get rid of the junk and He will shine through.

How I perceive Him may not be with my eyes, but I will see Him, because Jesus promised I will. It will not be the fulness of His glory (reserved for that day I see Him in heaven), but it will be glimpses. I already see Him in friends who give up their comfortable lives in Canada to take the Gospel to others who live in darkness and poverty. I see Him in the kindness of His people. I see Him in the glory of His creation. And I see Him in a fictional character who never lies, yet instantly recognizes when someone else strays from the truth.

My conclusion is that God is far too much to put all of who He is into any one way of seeing, except, marvel of marvels, He did do it—once.

“God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son . . . who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person . . . .”

“And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.”

No comments: