August 13, 2007

Splitting hairs?

The author of my devotional guide makes a distinction between soul and spirit. The author of the notes in my study Bible does not. I, being a person who prefers accurate word definitions, prefer the first point of view, but should I split hairs?

Watchman Nee says the spirit is the inner part of humans that is capable of being conscious of sin, of knowing God by faith, and of connecting with Him. Apart from Christ, these capacities are inactive and the spirit is said to be ‘dead in sin’ and separated from God.

In Nee’s descriptions, the soul is the inner part of humans where our intellect, emotions and volition function. He says the soulish man lives independently of God, and while that man may have an understanding of right and wrong and believe in the existence of God, this capacity is not the same as that of a person whose spirit has been made alive.

These distinctions are not clear in Scripture, but some verses seem to make them. For instance, Hebrews 4:12 talks about the power of God’s Word. It says, “For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”

The notes in my study Bible say that these terms do not describe two separate entities any more than “thoughts and intents” do, but I’m not sure about that. My thoughts may include my intentions, but not all of those thoughts involve intentions. The two words are not identical any more than “living and powerful” or “joints and marrow” are the same thing.

What difference does it make? Isn’t it enough to recognize the Bible can discover or reveal our inner condition? Do these words need defining?

I think so. As I study the Bible I notice that what my intellect grasps is often in contrast to what faith tells me. While this can be frustrating, God confirms it. He says, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding” (Proverbs 3:5).

These are two separate functions. My own understanding, seated in my intellect, is not as reliable as the knowledge of God which is received by faith. The Bible also says, “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind . . . .” in Romans 12:2. This tells me that my mind is not functioning the way God intends. This includes “thoughts and intents” which need to be renewed, transformed.

However, another amazing verse says, “We have the mind of Christ” (1 Corinthians 2:16). Of course His mind and mine do not think the same. God wants me to allow His Word to reveal to me the distinctions between the two, and live by “transformed” thoughts and motives, not by my own understanding.

None of this could happen when my spirit was “dead to God.” Before Jesus came into my life, I not interested, nor did I have the capacity to know Him. I could not see or understand the things of God. This is exactly what Jesus told Nicodemus in John 3. “Unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

“Born again” is another way of expressing how God makes alive the spirits of those who live physically (have soul-life), but are dead to God. When His Spirit regenerated my spirit, the things of God became real to me. There was a connection with God, a sense of my own sin, but also the ability to believe by faith, none of which I could do with my own intelligence, feelings, or by choice.

Imagining a set of concentric circles with the spirit as the core and the soul as the next circle, and the body as the outer, visible part, helps me to remember that what happens inside me has a huge effect on my entire person.

For instance, when God challenges me about my sin, my spirit knows He is right, but my mind grapples with what I should do. My emotions feel guilt, shame, or perhaps annoyance. I’ve now a choice to make. If I choose to resist Him, my emotions are affected and my body can become tense, even ill because of that inner battle. My spirit becomes suppressed, and if I say no long enough, it begins to atrophy.

However, if I yield to God with my whole being, my mind is engaged with praise and creative thoughts, my emotions overflow with peace and joy, and there is no resistance in my will power giving me freedom from stress. My body is relaxed and ready to obey. Under that and inside all of that is an assurance that I’m on the right track and I have a deep awareness of the presence of God.

Nee may go too far in his separation of soul and spirit because you cannot cut them apart; one affects the other. My Bible study notes may go too far the other way and miss the marvels of God’s handiwork in the way He created us.

But by splitting hairs, I’m helped to see that the Bible is just right. It challenges me to keep reading because it is alive and powerful and has an amazing ability to reveal to me what I need to know so every part of me can quit resisting God and live wholly for Jesus Christ.

2 comments:

Violet N. said...

I agree with you and Mr. Nee. I would even go further and say that just as you can't split soul and spirit apart, neither can you cut those parts from the body (or we'd be dead). They all affect and interact with each other.

Elsie Montgomery said...

We are truly fearfully and wonderfully made!