August 24, 2007

Gratitude

08/23/07
Several times the Bible describes how God’s people feel as if they are alone against a world that either hates or ignores God. Elijah, David, Paul and others cried out for deliverance from those who expressed their antagonism toward God by lashing out against His people.

The past few days I’ve seen some of that. Although no one raised their fist against me, their words and actions revealed their heart of resistance to godliness and their disdain of righteousness. Two young men wore it on their t-shirts—words about Jesus that are too awful to repeat. Others defied the signs and rules in the national park as if they were above law and could do whatever they want. We met a teacher who took pride in the fact that the school he teaches in bears the name of a Christian denomination, but he was even more proud that they no longer teach the Bible. I heard the usual blasphemy and observed other denials of the existence of God and His holiness.

I’m not sinless and haven’t the right to point fingers, but did find myself sad at what they were doing, or not doing. I felt the contrast in a few occasions God gave me to worship Him, to appreciate His creative power, to think at length about all that He has done for me, and to wake up in the morning with songs of thanksgiving in my heart.

The psalmist wrote, “Vindicate me, O God, and plead my cause against an ungodly nation; Oh, deliver me from the deceitful and unjust man! For You are the God of my strength; Why do You cast me off? Why do I go mourning because of the oppression of the enemy? Oh, send out Your light and Your truth! Let them lead me; let them bring me to Your holy hill and to Your tabernacle” (Psalm 43:1-3).

I understand his mourning. Even if this ungodly nation and those deceitful and unjust people are not after me directly, I still mourn. They are missing out on the most precious gift—that of knowing the Lord and the privilege of worshiping Him. They do not know light and truth, so walk in darkness as it pertains to spiritual things, and lies concerning God and their condition before Him. They seem utterly unaware of Him.

The psalmist felt cut off from God, which sometimes happens when those around are resisting Him. I don’t struggle with that today. The psalmist also felt in need of light and truth for himself so he could worship God. I don’t struggle with that either, not today. But I do feel a strong desire that God would send light and truth to the people around me, that they would realize and want what they are missing. The boys with the t-shirts need the holy and living Christ that they blaspheme. The families that ignore the rules designed to protect the precious beauty they were enjoying need eyes to see the God who gifted it. They need to see what He has done in such a way that they would think twice about defiling His gifts. The teacher needs to recognize that leaving out God's truth makes religion a mere label and teaching 'good value' a sham.

As I ponder these things, I also am amazed that God gives light and truth to anyone, to me included. I’ve not earned or deserved any of His blessings, not the ability to see His hand in all that happens, nor an understanding of how His truth conquers all lies. What a gift from God to just see the beauty of creation, to appreciate it, to worship Him for what He has made! What a gift from God to know that all of this IS a gift, that I am not a self-made person. Anything that I know and believe is because He gives light and truth. Without Him I would be blind and stumble from lie to lie, mocking God just like those who make me sad, and not caring at all what other people do and say against Him. Thank You, precious Lord.

No comments: