June 3, 2007

Under the Knife

An old apple tree on a farm we used to own was not producing fruit. One day I took a saw and some clippers and pruned it. Before going after the tree, a little research showed me that the best way to do it involved cutting out old and dead branches. It needed to be thinned so “a bird could fly through it” rather that simply nipping off the tips of the branches.

That year the tree didn’t look so good. The next year it had little blossom and no fruit, but the year after that was amazing. The tree bloomed profusely and bore the apples we’d hoped it would.

Since then, I’ve discovered every tree is different. Some require pruning in the spring. For others, fall is better. Some need to have the tips lopped off because they have become spindly and that type of pruning forces them to become bushier. Some need great care because they bleed sap when they are cut, even after the growing season. I’m not an arborist, but now know that without a little knowledge, pruning a tree without some understanding of the nature and habits of that tree could kill it.

Jesus said, “I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit” (John 15:1-2).

Jesus is not talking about trees but those who are connected to Him by faith. He is also not talking about peaches, plums and pears, but about spiritual fruit. Galatians 5:22-23 offers this partial list: “The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.”

Anything that is like Christ can be called spiritual fruit. Every time I obey Him I’m producing fruit. Every time I do my own thing, I’ve become disconnected in some way from the true Vine. John 15:5 says, “He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing” so I don’t want to drift away. However, abiding in Him means that inevitably He will go at me with an axe, a saw, or a pruning knife.

Getting pruned is part of what it means to be a Christian. When I first started this great adventure with Christ, there were lots of things in my life that were either sinful or had little or no eternal value. Whack! He pruned them. Those I don’t miss. Sinful habits, stinking thinking, stubborn attitudes, stuff that bothered even me but I couldn’t seem to stop doing, were happily taken care of by the Great Vinedresser.

Other things that came under His knife seemed more valuable. It was only after He cut them out of my life did I realize how much they hindered me from a close walk with Jesus, and from being like Him. I also am learning that He knows His trees. He knows what to do with me, and when. His pruning is not painless, but it is effective.

He keeps snipping. Right now I’m aware of some branches that must go: a tendency to point fingers without remembering that most of the time I’m guilty of the same things, a stubborn procrastination that is rooted in lack of self-confidence — forgetting that He is my confidence and source of strength, and a selfish reluctance to serve others when I’m “busy” and don’t feel like it.

I’m sure there are more. A tree hasn’t a clue where the pruning needs to be done, and I am also generally clueless. I do know that it will happen, that it usually is unpleasant, but afterwards there is fruit. I might not even get to enjoy the fruit, but someone will benefit from it, and God will be glorified. For that, I need to be willing to welcome those clippers.

No comments: