June 1, 2007

God restores

“I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely, for My anger has turned away from him. I will be like the dew to Israel; he shall grow like the lily, and lengthen his roots like Lebanon. His branches shall spread; his beauty shall be like an olive tree, and his fragrance like Lebanon. Those who dwell under his shadow shall return; they shall be revived like grain and grow like a vine” (Hosea 14:4-7)

God treats rebellious Israel with incredible patience and grace. Not only will He heal, forgive and restore them, but He will make them beautiful and give them influence over all those living in their shadow.

We have backsliding family members. They made commitments to the Lord, but are not following through, just as Israel did not follow through. At times, I become extremely burdened and discouraged because I see no change in their lives. Sometimes I cry, “How long, O Lord? How long?”

Yet the promises of God are certain. If not, who can have any hope? When He says He will do something, Scripture affirms over and over that He does it. His actions are at the right time and totally effective. He never does anything half way, nor does He make mistakes. It is God’s track record that encourages me regarding our backsliders.

Today I am going to pray using these verses. God, you promised this for Your people Israel. I know that You love them with an everlasting love (Jeremiah 31:3). You also declare Your love to those who trust You, even those who fall away for a time. Because You promise to restore Israel, I am counting on You to restore _____ and _____, not only forgiving them for their backsliding, but bringing out the beauty of Christ in them, and enabling them to glorify You and be a light and an influence in the lives of their friends . . .

Update: Bob is home, and as I suspected, making lists. Our granddaughter said, “We need to divide his chores” but she is at work most days, so most of them will fall on me. He is trying to behave but the heart muscle has no nerves; he cannot tell if he is hurting it or hindering the healing. As God restores his physical health, I need grace to be tactful and patient, but I just might follow my daughter’s suggestion and get some handcuffs!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) Glad he's still here to pester you, Elsie :)

Elsie Montgomery said...

Hey, he is, and I am. He is doing much better than we expected even this soon. He feels good, but this is only Day 3. For him, the fight against boredom is just beginning! (I'm never bored, but that would change if I could do hardly anything.)