June 12, 2007

A “Can’t Woman”

While I was growing up, a certain fellow earned a title from my dad; he called him a “Can’t Man.” I don’t remember much about the man, except that he worked for dad for a time and no matter what he was asked to do, he responded with reasons why it could not be done.

I thought of him, and that title, this morning reading Luke 9. It’s the familiar story of Jesus feeding five thousand people. Verse 12-13 says, “When the day began to wear away, the twelve came and said to Him, ‘Send the multitude away, that they may go into the surrounding towns and country, and lodge and get provisions; for we are in a deserted place here.’

“But He said to them, ‘You give them something to eat.’

“And they said, ‘We have no more than five loaves and two fish, unless we go and buy food for all these people.’”

Sometimes I feel like God has set me up. I had breakfast this morning before devotions, and while glancing through the newspaper skimmed several articles about senior care in our city and province. Because my mother and father received excellent care, I know it is possible, yet the news stories were about negative conditions, numerous complaints, and the great need of seniors in our society.

I felt burdened. Often the elderly are without proper care in facilities where they pay big bucks to get it. Lack of staff is one issue and funding may play a part. I instantly wanted to do something to make it better. I thought about the huge needs compared to my resources and decided that I don’t have enough of what it would take to make a difference. I’m only one person and I am not rich.

Then I read Luke 9.

Humanly, a first response to need is a check of our bank account or our calendar to see if we can do it. The disciples did the same thing. “We have no more than five loaves and two fish,” they said. “I have no experience or knowledge. I wouldn’t know even where to start,” I said, and now realize I’ve earned my dad’s label.

I don’t know if this burden was from the Lord or just my own emotional reaction to the newspaper stories. I was deeply involved in the care of my parents during their last years, and would associate them with the current issues. This blurs my ability to recognize who is talking to me. I do know that if this burden is from the Lord, He will persist and He will call me to do something.

The point is, at least right now, that when God does point me to a need, His desire is that I automatically respond thinking about His supply. What can He do to change this? How am I to be involved? What will He give me so I can do His will in this situation?

The last thing He wants me to do is go check my bank balance, current to-do list, or job resume. If He wants me to do anything, He promises to supply all that I need to do it. Reading this passage this morning reveals to me that I am still very much like my dad’s “Can’t Man” and like those twelve guys on the hill who also didn’t have a clue how to help a needy multitude.

No comments: