April 16, 2007

The transforming power of a good look

When we lived in California, our daughter picked up a bit of a drawl. When we lived near Chicago, our son had a friend from New York and picked up a Bronx accent. My husband has worked with Americans so often that when we go to the USA, they seldom perceive from his speech that he is Canadian.

People often become like those they spend time with, which is one reason parents guard the friendships of their children and God warns us about the company we keep.

Keeping this in mind, this morning I noticed how chapter breaks in the Bible can sometimes make me miss important connections or something valuable about spiritual life.

For instance, today’s reading starts in 2 Corinthians 4 with, “Therefore, since we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we do not lose heart.”

First I assumed that “this ministry” refers to the gospel of Jesus Christ and the Christian ministry of spreading this good news to the corners of the earth. However, while the previous chapters do talk about the work of Christ in the lives of the Corinthians, and the ministry of the new covenant, the ministry being emphasized is that of the Holy Spirit in the lives of believers.

The author, Paul, contrasts new life in Christ with the old covenant of law. He says, “If the ministry of death, written and engrave on stones, was glorious . . . how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious?”

He compared the blindness of those who looked to the ‘glory of the law’ for their salvation with the incredible transformation in those who look at the glory of the Lord instead. He tells them that when they turned to the Lord, their blindness was taken away and they were set free from their sin, their futile attempts to become righteous by keeping the law, and that condemnation that would have followed their failure. Instead, they now look to Jesus and enjoy the liberty that accompanies the Spirit of the Lord and His ministry to them.

He also says, “But we all, with unveiled face (no longer blind), beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.”

For me, this is one of the most profound truths in the New Testament. Simply put, when I look at Jesus, the power of God changes me to be like Him. This is not by effort or determination but happens by grace. (In fact, a definition of grace says it is a revelation of Christ that changes me to be more like Him.)

God changes the way I am by the ministry of His Holy Spirit who reveals Jesus to me. This is the ministry that Paul is talking about in chapter two. This is why he says, “Therefore, since we have this ministry . . . do not lose heart.”

He isn’t talking about sharing the gospel as much as he wants Christians to continue in our personal growth, to be holy. He adds, “But we have renounced the hidden things of shame, not walking in craftiness nor handling the word of God deceitfully, but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man’s conscience in the sight of God.”

I can lose heart when it seems I’ve no freedom to share my faith or talk about Jesus. I can lose heart when it seems like my life has no impact on others. But Paul is saying to me that because of the ministry of the Holy Spirit that changes my life, I can not only turn from sin, but people will look at me and know in their heart that I am not the same as I used to be. I am being transformed and God is using me as a ‘commendation’ in the hearts of others, even if I am not aware of it. He does it because of “this ministry”.

Again, He does the changing, but I’m responsible to gaze at the glory of the Lord, to look intently and intimately at Him. As He transforms my life through this face-to-face relationship, I am able to reflect His image, even unconsciously, to others.

Don’t give up. Keep gazing. Keep looking for the grace of God that reveals His Son to me. He will make my life shine and use it to touch the conscience of others.

And that is utterly incredible!

No comments: