April 10, 2007

Balance means . . .

Balance. The misuse and use of that word confuses me. For some, it means “all work and no play makes you a dull person,” therefore don’t work too much. For others, balance means to stay on course without needing to adjust anything. It can also mean a stability of emotions where there are no extremes. It’s used also for an equality of activities where nothing takes priority.

A few people misuse the term ‘balance’ to excuse their lack of focus and their avoidance of being overtly passionate about any one thing. As I read 1 Corinthians this morning, I can’t see that as a biblical philosophy. Paul talks about his own life. He says he is free to do whatever he wishes, yet will only do that which is expedient. If his actions do not further the gospel, then why do them? He lives a life of self-denial, and writes of his passion for Christ and His people, but then defends his personal right to enjoy the fruits of his labor. He says, “Who ever goes to war at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard and does not eat of its fruit? Or who tends a flock and does not drink of the milk of the flock?”

In other words, Paul chooses to deny himself, yet says in living that life of self-denial, he defends his right to enjoy the results of it. If he worked hard for the sake of God’s people, then he could also rejoice in their growth and spiritual success.

Paul was a passionate man, certainly about the gospel that he preached, but it seems he gave his all to everything he did. He also said, “For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more . . . I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some, that I may be a partaker of it with you.”

A few verses later, he writes about the value of self-discipline, using athletes as an example. He says, “Everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things.”

Temperate sounds a bit like balance, but it is not the balance of “doing a little bit of everything” but the balance of self-control, of doing only what is important in order to reach that desired goal—winning the race. Paul sums it up with, “I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.”

Whatever he was doing, he kept his purpose in mind. If a challenge or activity didn’t fit with his purpose, he avoided it. If his body demanded or desired anything, his thinking was not Is this part of a balanced diet? but, Will this serve my purpose?

Whatever else ‘balance’ meant to Paul, I can’t see him doing ‘busy work’ or wasting even his leisure moments. Even though he enjoyed the results of his work, he didn’t put his feet up very often. He knew that God gave him something to do. He knew that life was short. He may also have known that Jesus said to work while it “was yet day for the day is coming when no one can work.”

Others might think this man’s life was totally out of whack, out of balance, but I don’t see him that way. After reading and studying this morning, I’m going to dig out and review the purpose statement God gave me a few years ago. If I’m off target, no matter what else I’m doing, I’m out of balance.

No comments: