March 31, 2007

I may waver, but He never does

Someone threw something at me yesterday that made a good shot at putting my faith into a tailspin. For a while, I was thinking things like What if Jesus doesn’t do anything for us? What if all these blessings are coincidences? What if the Bible is wrong?

Normally I can counter all that with the truth that I know, but yesterday was a long day, I was tired, and my mind was not working very well. My husband, who is as solid as the Rocky mountains, said all the right words. I prayed and felt the smile of Jesus, but I still woke this morning with these nagging questions.

Again, God knows how to speak. My reading for today is from Romans 15. It says, “For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we though the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope.”

One word caught my eye—patience. How can the Scripture be patient? I checked. This is a rather awkward translation of a Greek word that means endurance, the ability to remain strong and stable under extreme pressure. Now the verse makes more sense.

The Bible is the world’s best-selling book. It hits that mark every year, without fail, even though no one bothers to put it at the top of their charts. The Bible endures because it is true, because it does what it says it will do. It instructs people how to live and gives us comfort and assurance of the love of God.

But there is more. Psalm 19 says, “The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul; the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple; the statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes; the fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever; the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb. Moreover by them Your servant is warned, and in keeping them there is great reward.”

Whatever things were written beforehand does all this. The Bible converted me from darkness to light. It gives me insight that in my simple-mindedness I would not otherwise know. The truth from its pages fills me with joy, shows me what is right and how I should live, warns me when there is danger, and puts to flight all those ideas from anyone who speaks against it.

Throughout the centuries, all questions, challenges, efforts to destroy it, and claims that it is bogus have failed. The Bible endures. The Word of God stands forever. Because of that, I can stand against the lies tossed against my faith, not because I have any strength, but because this book upon which my faith is based is as true and powerful as its Author.

No comments: