March 9, 2007

Eyes straight ahead

If I’d planned to start my day mumbling about this rotten cold, the Lord already knew it. I’m thinking I must not grumble, I must thirst after Christ and keep my mind on Him, but I need help.

This is today’s verse, “Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected (no kidding!); but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.” God does have a sense of humor, or at least amazing timing.

He laid hold of me that I might become like Him. Did He ever complain? Even when persecuted? Misunderstood? Crucified? Not at all. Instead, He committed Himself to His Father, who judges righteously, trusting all matters to God’s sovereign will, matters far more severe than this one that troubles me.

I’m reminded of a verse in Hebrews that says, “Consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls. You have not yet resisted to bloodshed, striving against sin.”

For me, this is a simple choice. Will I trust the Lord, even that He knows best in allowing a horrid head cold at a time when I have to drive five hours to a five day seminar, or will I draw attention to poor me by telling everyone how lousy I feel, hoping to gain their sympathy?

Oops! I just did it. Forget the drive and the seminar. Praise the Lord. He is my sovereign God and He knows best. As my mother used to say, “If I didn’t need this, I wouldn’t be getting it.”

No comments: