January 4, 2007

Use it or lose it

Instead of exercise, I’d rather straighten cushions or even do the dusting, or at least read email. I’m like that with other stuff too. Instead of doing the ironing, I’d rather play a computer game. Instead of loading the dishwasher, I’d rather catch something on television. But procrastination is my biggest time-waster and exercise is the worst.

Sometimes I’m just lazy. Sometimes I’m not sure how or what to do next (just move it, silly). Sometimes I just want to do it perfectly and wind up not doing it at all. Most of the time I think about the sore muscles soon to follow and decide, “Tomorrow!”

Exercise is one example; my desk is another. Time management experts say that when paper comes in, look at it once and decide to either toss it, file it, or act on it. Piling it on my desk is not an option. They also say to prioritize and do those tough chores or the most unpleasant ones first. With them out of the way, other things are easier.

I know the rules. I still procrastinate.

The only thing that saves me is the satisfaction of checking off items from that dratted to-do list. One of my quilting friends uses the saying, “Finished is better than perfect” and I like her philosophy, but even so, I still put off finishing things for fear of not doing my best.

Procrastination spells disaster for spiritual growth too. Even saying that makes me shiver. I tend to think that once I know a truth, that is enough. God says otherwise; I need to obey it also, no matter how tough it is, or how unsure I am about the doing of it, or of the results.

Today I read 2 Corinthians 6: “We then, as workers together with Him also plead with you not to receive the grace of God in vain. For He says: ‘In an acceptable time I have heard you, and in the day of salvation I have helped you.’ Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.”

I understand grace as a revelation from God that changes me to be more like Jesus. But what if He gives me that revelation and I sense a new way to think and act, but then don’t follow through? Isn’t this ‘receiving the grace of God in vain’?

The context of this passage suggests the original recipients had heard the Gospel but were hung up on living by rules, or depending on their good deeds, instead of living by the life of Christ who now lived in them. God had revealed truth to them but they didn’t prove they believed it by responding with action.

That is no different than God showing me how to resist temptation, for instance. I can agree with His revelation, can write about it, can even tell others what I’ve learned, then fall for the next temptation that comes along.

When God gives me grace, He may want me to teach it, or write about it, but never just file it, or put a check mark beside it, or put it off until tomorrow. Instead, I first must obey it. Just as 2 Corinthians 6 says, grace is very much like exercise—use it or lose it.

No comments: