January 14, 2007

Staying power needed

One of my fears about growing old is becoming spiritually useless. After many rounds with the enemy, I’m concerned that he finally gets me down and I stop praying, and stop growing. Aches and creaky bones can be a distraction too. Constant physical struggle has a way of turning me from caring about others to being occupied only with myself.

The Old Testament patriarch, Jacob, blessed his sons before he died. As he blessed Joseph, he changed his pronouns and with that, seemed to be reminding me that God will take care of those fears. From Genesis 49, this is part of what he said:

“The archers have bitterly grieved him, shot at him and hated him. But his bow remained in strength, and the arms of his hands were made strong by the hands of the Mighty God of Jacob . . . by the God of your father who will help you, and by the Almighty who will bless you with blessings of heaven above, blessings of the deep that lies beneath. . . .”

Years ago, when I first began understanding the Bible, a section of Psalm 71 jumped out at me and became my prayer. Jacobs words remind me of it.

“Do not cast me off in the time of old age; do not forsake me when my strength fails. For my enemies speak against me; and those who lie in wait for my life take counsel together, saying, ‘God has forsaken him; pursue and take him, for there is none to deliver him.’

“O God, do not be far from me; O my God, make haste to help me! Let them be confounded and consumed who are adversaries of my life; let them be covered with reproach and dishonor ho seek my hurt. But I will hope continually, and will praise You yet more and more. My mouth shall tell of Your righteousness and Your salvation all the day, for I do not know their limits.

“I will go in the strength of the Lord GOD; I will make mention of Your righteousness, of Yours only. O God, You have taught me from my youth; and to this day I declare Your wondrous works. Now also when I am old and gray-headed, O God, do not forsake me, until I declare Your strength to this generation, your power to everyone who is to come.”

His part is to keep me. I need to keep my end of this prayer by continuing to tell others about His great goodness and power.

However I notice that nothing was said about arthritis, blurry eyesight, or sore muscles. My conclusion is that whatever life hands me in old age (just as in days gone by), God will not necessarily remove it. While ‘problem-free’ would be nice, I’m thinking I have a far greater testimony to His power when He gives me strength to go through the challenges rather than simply taking them away.

No comments: