January 10, 2007

Get with the program

I’m one of those all or nothing types. I join a club and get involved. I’m not a pew-sitter, bench-sitter, or back-row sitter. If I’m going to belong to something, I’m going to do my part.

I’ve noted that those who join but don’t get with the program tend to fall into two categories, the followers and the complainers. Of course any group needs followers, but most could do without the complainers.

I’m reading Psalm 2 this morning. It is about leadership on a global scale. The club is the human race. The head over all is God, but followers are not mentioned, just complainers.

“Why do the nations conspire and the peoples plot in vain? The kings of the earth take their stand and the rulers gather together against the LORD and against his Anointed One. ‘Let us break their chains,’ they say, ‘and throw off their fetters.’

In this case, the complainers are not backbenchers, but kings and rulers. They like their positions of power and want to rule without any other authority, even the authority of God.

Is that the same with others who complain about leaders? They want to run their own lives and don’t like any authority? No matter who is the boss or how well he does his job, some will pit themselves against anyone who rules over them. Self-reliance rather than submission is their attitude.

To get personal, I’m like that every time I resist authority too. That includes griping about the government, complaining about the latest vision cast by our church leadership, grumbling when my husband asks me to do something (another touchy topic), and speeding when the sign says 50 kph.

There are better ways to bring a grievance to those in authority. Even God allows this by asking us to bring our requests to Him. But grumbling and complaining says way more about me than it does about those in authority over me. It shows that I’ve an attitude about who knows it all, and obviously don’t think it is my leaders or God. For shame. I’m not acting like Christ when I do that.

Psalm 2 continues: “The One enthroned in heaven laughs; the Lord scoffs at them. Then he rebukes them in his anger and terrifies them in his wrath . . . .”

God has a way of dealing with me when I am independent, stubborn, and refusing to listen to those He puts in place as my leaders. He wants me to trust Him; He can lead the leaders. He also wants me to follow my tendency to give it my all, not fall back into a critical spirit and selfish complaining.

Why is it so hard to learn that God is already enthroned, that He is in sovereign control? Probably for the same reason there are so many “I’s” in the first paragraph of this blog!

No comments: