January 28, 2007

Because He loves me. . .


I knew my motives when I was disciplining my children, usually. I was either concerned for their well-being and the choices they were making, or they simply annoyed me and I wanted them to stop. And if I didn’t have it figured out, they certainly knew.

God reminds me of that today. He says, “My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord, nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him; for whom the Lord loves He chastens, and scourges every son whom He receives.”

I could protest at this point; I chastened my children, and rebuked them, but I’ve never scourged them. However, God knows me better than I know myself. He knows what will perfect me, and how much discipline that perfecting will take. Besides, His motives are never because I am annoying. I can expect Him work on me because He loves me and because I am His child.

The most astounding part of God’s chastening is that it might hurt, but the sense of healing comes at the same time, making the pain (and embarrassment) of it easier to take. Sometimes He does it with a sense of humor.

Just before our last move, my husband asked me to go pick up some large cartons at a store that sells them. He said to phone first because the store had irregular hours. I was not in a good mood. I called, and the man who answered had a strange and threatening accent. When I got to the store, his appearance also seemed odd and threatening. Besides that, his clothes were dirty and he repulsed me for reasons I can’t even remember now. My mood worsened.

As he loaded the boxes in the back of my vehicle, I grumbled about moving. He said, “May the good Lord bless your move and make it an easy one.”

At that instant, I felt as if God both hugged me and gave me a sharp kick me in the seat of the pants. I even laughed aloud at His sense of timing and His way of telling me to smarten up. This story has become my favorite illustration for the gentle way God rebukes His children.

His dealings with me are often for more than bad attitudes. Sometimes God tosses me against the wall for deep-seated, sinful behavior that threatens not only my ability to reflect Him, but my relationships with others. He is trying to teach me that running my own life is not part of His plan for me. He wants me to take responsibility for what I do, like an adult, but be like a child when it comes to accepting discipline, knowing that He is not being mean. He wants me to grow, to be mature, but still have that childlike trust in Him.

Because of Jesus, I can trust Him. I am certain that He accepted me as I am—but equally certain that He loves me so much that He will not leave me this way.

No comments: