November 24, 2006

“You've changed my life. . .”

If I had to pick one thing that would be said in my eulogy, what would it be? Even though I won’t be there to hear it, I think the best thing would be if someone (better yet, several people) stood up and said, “She changed my life.”

Today’s reading is in 2 Corinthians 3. Paul’s ministry had been attacked. Some considered him incompetent. He wrote, “Do we begin again to commend ourselves? Or do we need, as some others, epistles of commendation to you or letters of commendation from you? You are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read by all men; clearly you are an epistle of Christ, ministered by us, written not with ink but by the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of flesh, that is, of the heart.”

Rather than any letter of introduction or recommendation, he pointed to the changed lives of the Corinthians who were products of his ministry. He called them ‘letters’ not signed by human references, but by Jesus Christ who had used Paul’s work among them to transform their lives. The very fact of their transformation verified his competence.

Instead of trying to verify my own competence (I’ve enough problems with pride and know better than to tempt myself), I’m thinking about how the Corinthians felt about Paul. Did they ever write him a thank you note for the work he had done among them? Did he know they were grateful for his ministry?

I can’t control what is said in my eulogy; however, this Scripture makes me think about those God has used to change my life. Do they know it? I got a card this week that did that for me, (and it will sit on my desk for a long time), so maybe I should be quicker to tell others that they have blessed me. Who should I be sending cards to?

Our current pastor comes to mind. He has a way of bringing out and applying truth from the Bible that I usually miss. I sometimes tell him, “Great sermon,” but does he know that he is changing my life? I’m sure I can find a card to send him.

Several individuals in my Bible class have changed my life too. They listen, ask questions, and offer ideas and interpretations that don’t occur to me. They ‘round out’ my education as I teach them. Because these women are not passive but interactive, I am a better teacher.

My granddaughter is a blessing too, not quite the same way, but she also challenges me. Not her problems (also a challenge), but that she seldom lets me say things that do not make sense, or use silly cliches or say things that are unintentionally thoughtless. She questions every such thing, and in turn makes me think before I chatter. Can I find a card to thank her for that?

I’ve a neighbor whose friendship is also a blessing. She is not a Christian, yet God has used her to make me feel like I matter. She is genuinely interested, listens, offers her thoughts and opinions. She takes me seriously and always has time to discuss just about anything. Those people are rare, and I need to tell her that she is a very good friend who has impacted my life.

God uses people to reveal Himself and His will to other people. Most of the time it’s better not to know how God is using me (pride puffs up) but everyone has days when they feel as if their life does not matter. During that kind of day, what a great boost to have someone say, “You changed my life.”

No comments: