November 27, 2006

Slavery is not an option

In our culture, about the closest I can come to understanding the master/slave relationship is when I feel like a ‘slave to my kitchen’ or a ‘slave to answering email’. Both apply only when I’m repeating chores that I don’t feel like doing and am not enjoying.

In Romans, the apostle Paul talks about being a slave to sin. Does anyone see sin as something they don’t enjoy, at least at the beginning? Sin doesn’t seem like a task master. If it did, I’d likely never choose it. However, I do, and later regret that choice.

I got thinking this morning about the nature of sin and its appeal. It seems true that if I am not obeying God, sin is the only alternate. There is no third option, no neutral or coasting position. By Bible definition, sin can be as horrid as murder, greed, and licentiousness, but it can also be doing my own thing without consulting or trusting God. It can be doing church work apart from His direction and strength. It can be an attitude of loving comfort, money, and my own pride and ego needs more than I love God. Sin can be in the way I talk, or don’t talk. It can be blatant or subtle. Whatever it is, it is never too far away.

I’m sobered by Romans 6. The last few verses say, “Just as you presented your members as slaves of uncleanness, and of lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves of righteousness for holiness. For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness. What fruit did you have then in the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death. But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

This is black and white. Choose either be a slave to sin and continue to sin—which brings shame and separates me from God, or choose to be a slave to Christ and righteousness and live out, right now, that eternal life that He has given me.

According to this analogy, slave is my sole occupation. I’ve no other options. No matter what, my hands and feet, eyes and ears, and entire body belongs to a taskmaster. Thank God for Christ. Without Him I would have no choice over what or who I serve.


No comments: