November 14, 2006

"Sit down!"

A dear friend called me yesterday. I knew our conversation would be long. Most times during long conversations I will putter about the house doing one-handed chores, but this time, and for almost all of it, I sat down.

In light of that, my devotional book pointed to an interesting verse this morning. It is from John 6: “Then Jesus said, “Make the people sit down.”

Jesus was preparing to feed 5000 plus people with a child’s small lunch. To make it easier for His disciples to distribute this special meal, He made sure they were not milling about or distracted in any way. The application is obvious, at least in light of talking to my friend. Jesus always uses her to minister to me, yet this time, sitting down made it even better.

I don’t sit much, other than at the computer, but that is working and more like standing up. Sitting implies receiving, enjoying. Such relaxation is a treat for me, but rare because my to-do list is over-stuffed. Like the book title, sometimes when I relax I even feel guilty. There is so much to be done.

Biblically, sitting is an important theme though. As was the current custom, Jesus sat down whenever He taught the people. He sat down when He talked with the woman at the well, and sat on the mountain when the crowds gathered. After He was crucified and rose from death, Jesus ascended to heaven and now sits at the right hand of God, a place of authority. Being seated also indicates that the job is done, at least most of it. I notice that when the Bible speaks of Jesus helping us or interceding for us, He is standing—for that task is not yet finished.

The Bible says that those who believe in Him are seated with Him in heavenly places. That is, in the mind of God, I am already there, sitting with Jesus in that special place of privilege.

As I think about the present value of sitting, some of it is basic. I need to relax and let my muscles recover from working. But I also need to breathe and rethink current perplexities and decisions. I need to be calm, allowing my emotions to return to repose. Sitting is still waters, where He restores my soul.

Jesus told the disciples to “make” the people sit down. I’m so like that even though it strikes me as silly that a person my age should need to be told when to sit. But I am one of the busy people in this world and sometimes He must make me take a rest. It might be by allowing a virus or some other infirmity. Sunday it was a good book. Yesterday, while I didn’t feel forced, He put the notion in my buddy’s head and made her go to the phone—just so He could make me sit down.

No comments: