November 2, 2006

A simple benediction is deeply profound!

The older I get the more I think about life goals and the fact that I’ve not made or accomplished too many of them. I’m an in-the-moment kind of person, and since I became a Christian, even more so. I think, What does God want me to do now? Rather than, What does God want me to do for the next five, ten, or fifty years?

While there are lots of ‘do’ commands in the Bible, I mostly notice the ‘be’ commands. Today’s reading is from 2 Corinthians 13, right at the end of the chapter. Paul writes, “Finally, brethren, farewell. Become complete. Be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace will be with you . . . . The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all. Amen.”

Become complete. Be comforted. Be united. If that is happening, you will live in peace, and in typical Paul-fashion, he puts the resources for the commands after them. To be complete, be of good comfort, be united with others, I need the grace of Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit.

Grace is described many ways. My favorite: grace is a revelation from God about Christ that transforms me. Grace is freely offered. Grace is blessing beyond anything in this world. It is that connection with God that can only be mine through faith, and both are His gift!

Comfort, at least true and lasting comfort, is knowing God loves me and is in total control of everything, not just my life, but everything. I could not know that apart from His grace that reveals it to my spirit, and the Holy Spirit who does the talking. Reason tells me a loving God would not allow the bad stuff. Grace tells me why, or if not why, at least how God wants me to respond or change because of that stuff. Comfort is that faith that knows everything has purpose, that His plan is going as scheduled. Comfort tells me, through faith, that someday I will understand it all and rejoice.

Unity is impossible apart from the Holy Spirit. He can enable two hundred people from different backgrounds and experiences to care about one another and agree on how much money should be spent renovating a bathroom or supporting a missionary. This unity is from His ability to communicate and relate to each of us in a deeply personal way, enabling us to realize that although I’m not going to get my way, it’s okay because He will have His way, and that is far better.

The love of God is not concerned about differences of opinion or pushing my agenda. In fact, His love is not about opinions or agendas at all; it is about wanting His very best for everyone, and being willing to sacrifice whatever is necessary for that to happen. Love is grace in action. Love comforts God’s people. Love produces unity.

Communion is fellowship, not coffee-and-cookies fellowship, but that deeper kind where the Christ in me expresses Himself to the Christ in others, where the grace, love, comfort, and unity of God flows from one person to another in words and deeds. It is deeply enriching, satisfying, and part of what I and every Christian needs to become complete.

This simple ‘benediction’ (the word means ‘blessing’) is often quickly said and its meaning not given much consideration. Today it has truly blessed me—to the point that I feel the heavens open and God echoing “Amen; so be it in your life today!”

No comments: