November 23, 2006

He isn't finished yet

Last night something happened again that yelled at me, “Loser. You don’t know anything. You can’t do anything. You are helpless.”

This time, instead of wanting to run away, I just shrugged my shoulders and thought, If any changes are going to happen, it’s obvious that God will have to make them. No emotions. No fighting within. Just a whatever response.

This morning I’m reading in Revelation 19. An angel is showing a vision to John: “Then he said to me, ‘Write: “Blessed are those who are called to the marriage supper of the Lamb!”’ And he said to me, ‘These are the true sayings of God.’ And I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, ‘See that you do not do that! I am your fellow servant, and of your brethren who have the testimony of Jesus. Worship God! For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.’”

This triggered another thought, that no matter what is happening now, in the end “every knee will bow and every tongue confess that He is Lord.” Whether they want to or not, the whole world will realize and concede to the majesty and power of God and the Lordship of His Son.

Those who belong to Him will attend that heavenly supper, a victory meal as well as a celebration of our unity with Him. Those who do not will be cast into outer darkness. It doesn’t matter how much they mock or protest or sling mud at Him now. They can’t come to His feast.

In my humanness, I’d like everyone, especially those close to me, family, friends, people I love, to willingly bow before Jesus Christ right now, before they die, before that final judgment, before God finalizes the guest list for His banquet. I want them to know Him now, before He shows them that after all their rejection and defiance, He was and will always be Lord of all. But I cannot make them see. I can only pray, obey God, and trust Him to do His will in their lives, and in a largely unwilling world.

These immense thoughts produce the same response to this vision as the angel told John to respond. Worship God. Although people near and dear to me may be living lies, even loving them, for me the most important thing is that I recognize that God is true, and that His Word is true. Whatever resists Him or lashes out against Him cannot prevail. The battle may seem to swing one way, then the other, but it is not over yet. He reassures me that in the end, Jesus wins.

No comments: