October 2, 2006

The value of Q & A

Yesterday our pastor went through a section of Revelation describing the awful things that will happen in the world when people have totally rejected God. Near the end of his message he asked this thought-provoking question; “What does God have to do to get your attention?”

I’ve been thinking about that. He does many things, including dropping unexpected blessings, and allowing unwanted trials. He knows that my heart is prone to wander, to drift away from Him. He knows what He must do to bring me back.

I’ve also thought about the power of a question. Sometimes I bury myself in the problems all around me and forget (how foolish) the most simple things, such as: Is anything too hard for God? The answer is obvious, but how often I forget to just ask the question.

I’m reading Acts 8 this morning. Philip is preaching Christ. “And the multitudes with one accord heeded the things spoken by Philip, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did. For unclean spirits, crying with a loud voice, came out of many who were possessed; and many who were paralyzed and lame were healed . . . . Then Simon (a sorcerer) himself also believed; and when he was baptized he continued with Philip, and was amazed, seeing the miracles and signs which were done. . . . Now an angel of the Lord spoke to Philip, saying, ‘Arise and go toward the south . . . .’ and he arose and went” and met an Ethiopian who was in charge of the queen’s treasury. This man was reading the Old Testament, and when he said he needed help to understand, Philip preached Jesus to him. The man believed and was baptized.

Here in the space of less than forty verses, God sets free those oppressed by demons, heals the lame and paralyzed, transforms one person trapped in the occult and another who would normally be forbidden access to worship because he was a eunuch.

When I asked God what I needed to think about today, this is what He told me. Add up the ‘impossible’ feats in this chapter, and think about them, even those revealed in the rest of the book of Acts, and remember that I am the same yesterday, today, and forever!

Whatever happens today, it will not be too hard for God. He can supply all my needs. He can give me wisdom and grace to meet the challenges. He can do whatever He wants.

No comments: