October 14, 2006

The price tag is not in dollars

We watched an episode of Law and Order last night where an ordinary young business man was pulled by the lure of wealth into a secret lifestyle. While his life looked normal, under-the-table deals and illegal bargains with clients escalated until someone murdered his wife.

I’ve often heard that a person’s relationship with God can be determined by what they do with their wallet. I’m a bit of a tightwad, I think. My personal income is sporadic, but I do give more than the tithe, and on a regular basis. However, I don’t spend money easily. My Scottish roots, perhaps? At the same time, I’m content with what I have, not always wanting more. I don’t buy lottery tickets and am not envious of those who make scads of dollars. If someone has a financial need and God nudges me to respond, I will, but I am a little slower than my husband. He has far more income, and is also quicker to be generous.

Financial integrity is an important part of being a godly person. Acts 18 describes an incident that brings this out. “And when Simon saw that through the laying on of the apostles’ hands the Holy Spirit was given, he offered them money, saying, “Give me this power also, that anyone on whom I lay hands may receive the Holy Spirit.”

I don’t know if this posed a temptation for the apostles. It sounds like easy money. All they had to do was put their hands on this man and give him the power of the Holy Spirit. Then he could do the same and be another helper at their side. But God doesn’t work like that.

First, the Holy Spirit is not ‘controlled’ by anyone, not even the apostles. If God does not want to fill someone with His Spirit, it won’t happen, no matter who is asking for it.

Second, the power of God is not purchased with money. “Peter said to him, “Your money perish with you, because you thought that the gift of God could be purchased with money! You have neither part nor portion in this matter, for your heart is not right in the sight of God.”

Some church leaders today might be tempted. Maybe I should say some church leaders today have been tempted and given in to the lure of wealth. I don’t know their hearts, but when I hear too many appeals for money, I begin to wonder who they are trusting. While ministry does require funding, if God is in it, the funds will be there. He has an amazing ability to nudge people into opening their pocketbooks. He doesn’t need a preacher to do it.

This issue in Acts was deeper than a church leader being tempted by money. Simon thought God would dole out power to those with the dollars. That easily becomes, ‘Get more dollars; get more power’ and a horrible view of how God works. Simon was far from understanding the heart of God. No wonder Peter said, “Your money perish with you.”

No comments: