October 18, 2006

God does not have a double-standard

Romans 14
Some Christians think it is okay to go to a football game on Sunday, and some don’t. Some think it is okay to dress casual for church and others insist on wearing their best. Some think nothing wrong with a game of Old Maid with the kids, and others will not touch a deck of cards. Some Christian couples will dance with each other; others will not dance at all.

The odd part is that most of them can support their choices with Bible verses, making it look like God has no fixed rules in mind. That’s not the case, and likely one reason why He had Paul write Romans 14.

In part, it says, “Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters. One man’s faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him. Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand. One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone. If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.”

God does care what I do, but He is very interested in my motives. Yesterday He reminded me that I don’t take on anything without seeking His will. Today it is examine why I do things. Is it for His glory? Is it to express my love and devotion to Him?

This is what Paul is saying. If something is not forbidden in Scripture, then be alert to my conscience. If God gives freedom, He knows my heart. If He forbids, He knows that whatever I feel I should not do has a danger for me.

For instance, if I spend all my Sundays in front of the television before I became a Christian, after I was saved I might think watching television on Sunday is a sin, even though the Bible doesn’t say anything about that. For me, it could be a snare, but as I mature, it may not be an issue. Still, I must listen to my conscience. God gives it to me to keep me out of trouble.

Also, God wants me to be discerning, but not use my discernment to look down on others.
I’m not to judge others for stuff like this; I don’t know their motives. Instead, I must be aware that some things that seem okay to me might cause someone else to stumble into sin.

That means if I feel okay about Sunday television, I should not invite someone who has a problem with that to watch TV with me. Neither should I judge them as weak or immature. Just as I desire to please God and can rejoice in my freedoms, they do the same and can rejoice in their restraint.

No comments: