September 11, 2006

Responses

There are three kinds of people, so they say: Those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who say, “Whot happened?”

On this 9/11 anniversary, there are few in the last category. While most of us were and still are observers. Yet those who make things happen have done positive things as a result of the tragedy five years ago. Relatives of survivors have formed groups and action committees helping others. Authorities all over the world are working to prevent something like this from ever happening again.

The Apostle Paul was a make-things-happen kind of guy. His entire Christian life was spent preaching the gospel, establishing churches, and making sure the body of Christ was functioning as it ought. This morning I noticed how that connects to his initial response to Christ.

“As he (Saul, now called Paul) journeyed he came near Damascus, and suddenly a light shone around him from heaven. Then he fell to the ground, and heard a voice saying to him, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?’ And he said, ‘Who are You, Lord?’ Then the Lord said, ‘I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. It is hard for you to kick against the goads.’ So he, trembling and astonished, said, ‘Lord, what do You want me to do?’”

Imagine this happening today. A person who hates Christianity is suddenly confronted by Jesus Christ Himself. He sees a bright light and hears Jesus telling him the truth about himself; he has been doing the wrong thing and he knows it. What would that person do?

I had a conversion something like this. I was headed toward a new-age, reincarnation kind of belief and reading a book about it. The book had a verse of Scripture, and when I read the verse, suddenly the room seemed filled with light. At that moment I was convinced in my mind and heart that Jesus Christ is God in human flesh.

This revelation had nothing to do with the book, and I don’t remember the Scripture verse as being particularly significant. What was important was the fact that God showed me truth about Christ. Now what would I do about it?

Paul’s response was, “Lord, what do You want me to do?” He was then, and continued to be, a doer, a person who makes things happen.

I can’t remember exactly what I was thinking that day, but my recall is that I marveled at this event, and even though I eventually wanted to tell people about it, I sat there for a long time simply amazed at God and what He had shown me. I’m still amazed.

Over time, God urges the ‘watchers’ to become ‘doers’ and get involved in building His kingdom. As I read this passage from Acts today I realized how easy I can get involved without first asking the same question Paul asked: “Lord, what do You want me to do?” I just say yes, then find myself on a merry-go-round, not sure if I am in the will of God—or just don’t know how to say ‘no.’

The saddest category of all are those who have had an encounter with Christ and missed it. They don’t know, or don’t try to find out ‘whot happened’ and as a result never know the wonder of what He can do in their lives, or the excitement of finding out and doing what He wants them to do.

Even though I'm not be a mover-shaker kind of person, I am very thankful that He has shown me ‘whot happened.’

No comments: