September 21, 2006

Prayer is one of many ways to care

A cousin I’ve met only through e-mail contacted me yesterday to tell me another cousin (that I don’t know at all) has leukemia. It is similar to the blood cancer my husband has, only the rapidly progressing variety. Another Christian, this time a writer friend, sent an e-mail to say her mother has less than a year to live. I don’t know either person, but both e-mails prompted me to tears—and to pray.

Ten days ago I was mourning for those whose lives were lost during the 9/11 attacks five years earlier, and for the for those who survived and are grieving. I don’t know those people either, but shed tears and prayed for them.

When I first became a Christian over 35 years ago, I remember sitting on my front step and marveling how God had come into my life and made me care about people. Up until then, I didn’t care much, knew that I didn’t care, and yet felt guilty and helpless to change my attitude. But God changed it. This morning I read how the same thing happened to the first Christians.

“Now the multitude of those who believed were of one heart and one soul; neither did anyone say that any of the things he possessed was his own, but they had all things in common. And with great power the apostles gave witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And great grace was upon them all. Nor was there anyone among them who lacked; for all who were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of the things that were sold, and laid them at the apostles’ feet; and they distributed to each as anyone had need.”

When the Holy Spirit is in charge, God’s people are moved to meet needs. I’ve learned that not all needs are material. Some need spiritual encouragement, teaching, guidance, organization, comfort, physical assistance, a gentle push, but all of us always need prayer. In fact the praying is so important that most of us can sense when others are praying for us, and when they are not.

It is easier to pray when troubles come or bad news lands in my in-basket. If things are going well in my own life, the selfish part of me wants to tackle my to-do list instead. The reason? Prayer is hard work. Without a specific burden, it is even more difficult. However, I don’t need to look very far to find things to pray about; the morning newspaper alone could keep me going for days.

Today my list includes those mentioned who have cancer, a pregnant woman in danger of losing her baby, someone seeking career guidance, a tense situation in a college in SE Asia, a friend looking for a job, my family (including a brother trapped in a cult) who are always in my prayers, my friends and neighbors who need Jesus, a Christian writers’ conference this weekend, my workshop at that conference, my ladies Bible class this Sunday, plus dozens of individuals who have asked for prayer about various needs and situations.

All this points to the fact that I, nor anyone else, should never wonder how we can obey the verse that says, “Pray without ceasing.” If I am filled with the Holy Spirit, I cannot help but care, and the very least He will motivate me to do is pray.

No comments: