September 12, 2006

Is there an end to this war?

Why is it that we can pray for something knowing God is fully able to answer our prayers, and then are surprised when He does? Yesterday our “boarder” was in a sullen mood, not a good sign. I asked God for help, and He used a rather lively discussion about 9/11 to snap her out of it. While I know this is short term, and that she needs much more for full victory, I’m surprised at the way God answered yesterday’s cry for help.

The classic case is in Acts 12. Peter was put in prison by Herod who was trying to appease the Jews who never really acknowledged his rule over them. Four squads of soldiers were assigned to guard Peter, but God wasn’t intimidated by their strength.

“Peter was therefore kept in prison, but constant prayer was offered to God for him by the church. And when Herod was about to bring him out, that night Peter was sleeping, bound with two chains between two soldiers; and the guards before the door were keeping the prison. Now behold, an angel of the Lord stood by him, and a light shone in the prison; and he struck Peter on the side and raised him up, saying, ‘Arise quickly!’ And his chains fell off his hands. Then the angel said to him, ‘Gird yourself and tie on your sandals’; and so he did. And he said to him, ‘Put on your garment and follow me.’ So he went out and followed him, and did not know that what was done by the angel was real, but thought he was seeing a vision.”

As this event unfolded, even Peter did not think it was real. His surprise became wonder, then affirmation as he praised God for delivering him. Soon he arrived at the place where the church was praying for his release and knocked on the door.

“A girl named Rhoda came to answer. When she recognized Peter’s voice, because of her gladness she did not open the gate, but ran in and announced that Peter stood before the gate. But they said to her, ‘You are beside yourself!’ Yet she kept insisting that it was so. So they said, ‘It is his angel.’”

They were praying in faith that God could do something; He’d already proven His care and protection for the fledgling church. Yet when the answer came, it seemed too good to be true.

So “Peter continued knocking; and when they opened the door and saw him, they were astonished. But motioning to them with his hand to keep silent, he declared to them how the Lord had brought him out of the prison.”

There are things happening in this house and in our granddaughter’s life that could be described using that “prison” word. We need a miracle. I know that nothing is too hard for God, but part of me identifies with those in this prayer meeting. Whether I am intimidated by the enormity of the problem, or am unsure God will do anything, I don’t know. However, I do know that my spiritual enemy will do anything to kill my joy and my confidence that God is in control. At the same time, I know I’m in a war, and I am hoping my Commander will amaze me with His solution.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LC, I will do my best to remember to pray that you will be who are you meant to be in this lovely girl's life. And you will be, because "first He calls us, then He enables us."

Love you.

sue

Elsie Montgomery said...

Sue, thank you so much for your prayers and encouragement. She is a lovely girl, and I so want to see the Lord work in her life and grant her peace and deliverance. He is sure using this horrid illness to work in mine!