September 6, 2006

God recommends honey

My brother belongs to a religious cult whose unity depends on everyone '‘believing' the same thing. When asked what would happen if he believed something contrary to their teachings, he told me he would no longer be a member of that group.

In most social and community groups unity depends on people agreeing about policies and group activities. If someone doesn'’t like what the rest are doing, they either raise their voice or leave the group.

In the government, unity very much depends on agreement for each principle raised. If all are in harmony, laws are passed and action taken. If not, they debate the issue with great vigor and often for a very long time.

The church is supposed to be different, yet depending on "‘which dog is getting fed the most"’ (see yesterday!), Christians can be like every other group in that their unity depends on total agreement. However, if Christ is at the center of our lives, unity happens in a surprising manner.

Ephesians 4 says, "I (Paul) . . . beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all."”

Our unity is based on one common denominator—the Lord Jesus Christ. In Him, we have all we need to get along. But it doesn't happen like magic.

This section of the Bible goes on to explain, “"He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ."

Unity is tied to maturity. For that reason, God gives gifted leaders to equip His people to minister to others—that we might all grow up. The more I understand the faith described in the Bible, and the more I know about Christ and follow Him, the more I will be like Him. As I mature and as others mature, unity happens.

This works in marriage too. Imagine a triangle with Christ at the top, my husband at one corner and me at the other. The closer my husband and I move up the angle to Christ, the closer we are to each other.

The emphasis in the Bible for unity is quite amazing. It requires being close to God, but look at the attitudes for that: lowliness, gentleness, longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, working to keep the unity of the Spirit in peace. Giving up what I want, not being pushy, saying no to arguments, embracing patience, being gentle.

As I write this I feel sorrow for all the times I'’ve tried to argue people into agreeing with me. I had it all wrong. Someone once said, “You catch more flies with honey, honey.

God would agree.

No comments: